Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default An easier way to count equal values in two columns?

I have a worksheet with two columns, each column has a date/time value. I need to know how many of the cells in column A match the cells in column B on a row-by-row basis. Now, I could do it row by row with IF, but is there a way to look at the whole range and just count in one instance?

To clarify, the same values must only take place in the same row (e.g., A3=B3), and I'd like for the formula to return how many of those cells equal each other. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Emilio,

Am Wed, 18 Dec 2019 06:21:41 -0800 (PST) schrieb Emilio Guerra:

I have a worksheet with two columns, each column has a date/time value. I need to know how many of the cells in column A match the cells in column B on a row-by-row basis. Now, I could do it row by row with IF, but is there a way to look at the whole range and just count in one instance?

To clarify, the same values must only take place in the same row (e.g., A3=B3), and I'd like for the formula to return how many of those cells equal each other. Thanks!

try:

=SUMPRODUCT(N(A1:A20=B1:B20))

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 9:34:56 AM UTC-5, Claus Busch wrote:
Hi Emilio,

Am Wed, 18 Dec 2019 06:21:41 -0800 (PST) schrieb Emilio Guerra:

I have a worksheet with two columns, each column has a date/time value. I need to know how many of the cells in column A match the cells in column B on a row-by-row basis. Now, I could do it row by row with IF, but is there a way to look at the whole range and just count in one instance?

To clarify, the same values must only take place in the same row (e.g., A3=B3), and I'd like for the formula to return how many of those cells equal each other. Thanks!

try:

=SUMPRODUCT(N(A1:A20=B1:B20))

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016

Thank you so much, Claus. I know I'm pushing my luck and the bounds of courtesy here, but is there a way to make them count the entire column range (eg. A:A and B:B) avoiding blanks?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Emilio,

Am Wed, 18 Dec 2019 06:51:46 -0800 (PST) schrieb Emilio Guerra:

Thank you so much, Claus. I know I'm pushing my luck and the bounds of courtesy here, but is there a way to make them count the entire column range (eg. A:A and B:B) avoiding blanks?

try:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A20=B1:B20)*(A1:A20<"")*(B1:B20< ""))

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10