Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Determining if two columns values are equal/close

I have two columns of data as seen below:

ColA ColB
1 Acme Acme Inc.
2 XYZ ABC
3 Seal Seals

I need to define in Col C whether or not data from col A and B are equal or
close to being equal by using a True/False result. For example, row 1 and 3
would be a match. However row 2 would not.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

In column C
=ISNUMBER(FIND(A1,B1))
will return True for rows 1 and 3

FIND is case sensitive.
If you are not concerned about case then use the non case sensitive
Search function
=ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A1,B1))

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"GDCross" wrote in message
I have two columns of data as seen below:

ColA ColB
1 Acme Acme Inc.
2 XYZ ABC
3 Seal Seals

I need to define in Col C whether or not data from col A and B are
equal or
close to being equal by using a True/False result. For example, row 1
and 3
would be a match. However row 2 would not.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That helps Roger. Any insight into row 4's predicament as I want it to return
a true value but the formulas below return a false value. Thanks for your
help.

ColA ColB
1 Acme Acme Inc.
2 XYZ ABC
3 Seal Seals
4 Seals Seal

"GDCross" wrote in message
I have two columns of data as seen below:

ColA ColB
1 Acme Acme Inc.
2 XYZ ABC
3 Seal Seals

I need to define in Col C whether or not data from col A and B are
equal or
close to being equal by using a True/False result. For example, row 1
and 3
would be a match. However row 2 would not.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I used

=IF(AND(TEXT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A2,B2)),0)="false",
TEXT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B2,A2)),0)="false"),"FALSE", "TRUE")

and it seems to work. Thanks Roger and Mike for your assistance and have a
blessed day.