Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to run the IRR formula with non-adjacent cells in Google Sheets

Hello all,

I have a template for a cost-benefit analysis, and one aspect is the IRR. When I open the template on my Windows 10 desktop, there is no issue. But when I open the template on Google Sheets on my Chromebook, the IRR formula returns a #NUM! error. I think the problem is that the cashflows are in non-adjacent cells. So basically I want to run the IRR formula in Google Sheets where my first cash outflow is in one cell, and the rest of the cashflows are in a range of adjacent cells.

The formula is =IRR((J8, E9:E15))

In this, J8 contains the initial outflow, while the E9:E15 range contains the rest of the inflows.

The reason I suspect this has to do with the adjacency of the cells is because there is a second IRR calculation in the spreadsheet where all the cashflows are in adjacent cells, and that formula works fine on Google Sheets.

If I've explained this badly or you need more information, let me know. Also, I could upload the spreadsheet, but I'm not sure how as this is my first time posting a question here.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

[...]

Since Google Sheets *is not Excel-based* even though it claims to be 100% Excel
compatible, you should consult the Google Sheets online guide for using *their*
IRR function in *their* spreadsheet in terms of cell references. While it
should be essentially same as Excel, I've found in numerous instances some
references going awry when testing Excel templates on Google Sheets.

Note that I stopped doing this when I decided to use SpreadsheetGear in
stand-alone Windows apps; - it creates true 100% Excel-compatible workbooks
while having absolutely no dependency on MS Office whatsoever!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc