Junior Member

Default Is multiple IF statements what I'm looking for?

I am trying to do something that I think should be very simple but for the life of me I cannot work it out and am getting increasingly frustrated.

I have numbers in the columns and want to say if columns 1 and 3 match and columns 2 and 4 match, then the fifth column should have YES, but if columns 1 and 3 match and column 4 is greater than or less than column 2, then the answer should be MAYBE. Hopefully this makes sense! Can anyone help please?

Many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Am Thu, 12 Jun 2014 17:01:41 +0100 schrieb Synapses:

I have numbers in the columns and want to say if columns 1 and 3 match
and columns 2 and 4 match, then the fifth column should have YES, but if
columns 1 and 3 match and column 4 is greater than or less than column
2, then the answer should be MAYBE. Hopefully this makes sense!

try:
=IF(AND(A1-C1=0,B1-D1=0),"yes",IF(AND(A1-C1=0,B1-D1<0),"maybe",""))

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Synapses" wrote:
I have numbers in the columns and want to say if columns 1 and 3 match
and columns 2 and 4 match, then the fifth column should have YES, but if
columns 1 and 3 match and column 4 is greater than or less than column
2, then the answer should be MAYBE. Hopefully this makes sense!

Not entirely. What do you want if neither condition applies? And do mean
"__corresponding__ rows in columns 1 and 3 match" -- that is, individual
cells in each column? Or do you mean "__entire__ columns 1 and 3 match"?

Perhaps the following meets you needs. Replace "NO" as you wish.

=IF(A1<C1,"NO",IF(B1=D1,"YES","MAYBE"))

Note: If B1 does not equal D1, than D1 is greater than or less than B1 by
definition.