Junior Member

Default Conditional Formatting

I am using a formula for a conditional format, but when I copy it done to other rows using format painter the formula does not change.

The formula is =AND(A10<"Paid",C10<"",C10<today())

Column A is where a flag of "Paid", "Unpaid" is keyed.
Column C is where a payment date is keyed.

I am trying to highlight dates which have past and are unpaid.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am using a formula for a conditional format, but when I copy it
done to other rows using format painter the formula does not change.

The formula is =AND(A10<"Paid",C10<"",C10<today())

Column A is where a flag of "Paid", "Unpaid" is keyed.
Column C is where a payment date is keyed.

I am trying to highlight dates which have past and are unpaid.

CF doesn't work that way. The Format Painter only copies formats, not
CFs!

You'll need to select all the cells you want the CF to apply to
(including the one you put the CF on), then open CF and re-apply the
formula. If you make sure that the cell that already has CF is the
active cell in the selection then CF will use its formula as the
default if none of the other cells have CF. Otherwise, you need to
delete conditions and redo.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am using a formula for a conditional format, but when I copy it done
to other rows using format painter the formula does not change.

The formula is =AND(A10<"Paid",C10<"",C10<today())

I am trying to highlight dates which have past and are unpaid.

For me (with Excel 2010) CF and format painter work the way you expect it to.

I put the CF in C10 and painted it onto C1:C37.

Sure, when looking at the formula using
Home Styles Condtional formatting
the formula doesn't change on the screen, but since it applies to $C$1:$C$37 and the formula includes a relative row numbers A10 & C10 (without $), the effect does propagate the way you want.

I don't understand why you get different results. Maybe there are extra spaces or something in the "Paid" cells.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVeryOwnSelf[_3_] View Post
I am using a formula for a conditional format, but when I copy it done
to other rows using format painter the formula does not change.

The formula is =AND(A10<"Paid",C10<"",C10<today())

I am trying to highlight dates which have past and are unpaid.

For me (with Excel 2010) CF and format painter work the way you expect it to.

I put the CF in C10 and painted it onto C1:C37.

Sure, when looking at the formula using
Home Styles Condtional formatting
the formula doesn't change on the screen, but since it applies to $C$1:$C$37 and the formula includes a relative row numbers A10 & C10 (without $), the effect does propagate the way you want.

I don't understand why you get different results. Maybe there are extra spaces or something in the "Paid" cells.
Thanks I'll give it a go at work tomorrow. I hve always copied cf's with painter before and it has worked.
I think because I was randomly checking the cf in different cells I was confused as to why the formula hadn't changed. On previous cf's I have done the formula has moved to take into account the row/cell I am viewing it from.
Perhaps it is me overthinking it! Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

'MyVeryOwnSelf[_3_ Wrote:
;1611510'] I am using a formula for a conditional format, but when
[...]

Must be an overthinking day all around because I have no clue what I
was thinking. (I know full well how Format Painter works because I use
it all the time) Maybe I need some sleep, or coffee, because you are
quite right!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 22:25:55 -0400, GS wrote:

'MyVeryOwnSelf[_3_ Wrote:
[...]

Painted yerself into a corner and didn't even know it, 'cause ya got
some in yer eye!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

'MyVeryOwnSelf[_3_ Wrote:
[...]

Haha! Some days that not so hard to do!