Junior Member

Default IF funtion question

My situation is this: If the cell is empty then pick a name from a drop down list from another cell, but if it is not blank then leave current data alone. The first part is easy enough IF(A1="", C1, ?) but the second part I cannot figure out with the cell referencing itself and giving error.
Can anyone help.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escelnewbie View Post
My situation is this: If the cell is empty then pick a name from a drop down list from another cell, but if it is not blank then leave current data alone. The first part is easy enough IF(A1="", C1, ?) but the second part I cannot figure out with the cell referencing itself and giving error.
Can anyone help.
I'm not sure what it is you're actually trying to do here. Which cell are you putting that formula in?

Perhaps you could post an example workbook to make things clearer?
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
I'm not sure what it is you're actually trying to do here. Which cell are you putting that formula in?

Perhaps you could post an example workbook to make things clearer?
Basically it is a workbook for scheduling vacation. for instance for Jan 1st, 5 open slots are available. instead of manualy inputing names I want to use 1 dropdown list with approx. 300 employees. first slot is easy, but for 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th request I need it to leave current names in cells that are already occupied and input new request into the next vacant cell down.
ex. Jan1, 2013
A1-- Joe
A2-- julie
A3-- (available)
A4-- (available)
A5-- (available)

drop down list will be from seperate sheet