Junior Member

Default Excel formula not able to work this out

I have a bar length of metal say 6000 in 1 cell and the £55.12 value in another how can i change the size of the bar length so that the value changes automatically. Probably straight forward but brain is not that advanced yet.

Thanks
Barry
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry duncan View Post
I have a bar length of metal say 6000 in 1 cell and the £55.12 value in another how can i change the size of the bar length so that the value changes automatically. Probably straight forward but brain is not that advanced yet.

Thanks
Barry
Hi Barry,

Have a look at the attached.
From the limited info in your original post, I presume there is a standard "cost per length" which is just the cost your gave divided by the bar length.

The attachment should make sense but let me know if I've got the wrong end of the stick.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Barry Duncan Example.zip (6.2 KB, 44 views)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"barry duncan" wrote:
I have a bar length of metal say 6000 in 1 cell and the £55.12
value in another how can i change the size of the bar length
so that the value changes automatically. Probably straight
forward but brain is not that advanced yet.

I presume you are asking: how can you determine the price based on the
length purchased?

If 6000 is in A1, 55.12 is in B1, and the length purchased is in A2, the
price can be computed as follows (perhaps in B2):

=ROUND(A2*$B$1/$A$1,2)

Note that B1/A1 is the price per inch.

Also note that use of $B$1 and $A$1 ("absolute references") allow you to
copy the formula down the column, assuming other purchase lengths are in
column A.

Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeu2004[_2_] View Post
"barry duncan" wrote:
I have a bar length of metal say 6000 in 1 cell and the £55.12
value in another how can i change the size of the bar length
so that the value changes automatically. Probably straight
forward but brain is not that advanced yet.

I presume you are asking: how can you determine the price based on the
length purchased?

If 6000 is in A1, 55.12 is in B1, and the length purchased is in A2, the
price can be computed as follows (perhaps in B2):

=ROUND(A2*$B$1/$A$1,2)

Note that B1/A1 is the price per inch.

Also note that use of $B$1 and $A$1 ("absolute references") allow you to
copy the formula down the column, assuming other purchase lengths are in
column A.
joeu2004
many thanks

given that i probably didnt explain this properly your explanation was exactly what i wanted to acheive.

thanks again
barry
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry duncan View Post
joeu2004
many thanks

given that i probably didnt explain this properly your explanation was exactly what i wanted to acheive.

thanks again
barry
No thanks for me then...? :( *sob sob*
Despite my answer being first and practically the same as joeu2004's...

Good job I'm not easily offended eh? ;)