Junior Member

Default Function to pull a single cell from a column into another cell

This is probably just a simple function, but i don't know what it is. I have a column of information that is being pulled from an adjacent column where only 1 cell will have anything in it but 0. I need to pull whatever cell in the columns information to a single cell somewhere else. Is there a function for this? thanks in advance new here...
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeShep View Post
This is probably just a simple function, but i don't know what it is. I have a column of information that is being pulled from an adjacent column where only 1 cell will have anything in it but 0. I need to pull whatever cell in the columns information to a single cell somewhere else. Is there a function for this? thanks in advance new here...
Not sure I get what you mean. Can you post an example?
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Not sure I get what you mean. Can you post an example?
I have 2 columns with if formulas in them. The first on pulls the highest number in from a list that meets a certain criteria. Making only 1 cell in the column a number above 0. The second column pulls text from the row that has that number in it. I am then trying to pull that text from any cell in the column up to another cell for easy reference.

Example:

Destination cell(want to pull "Text" to here)

Column 1: Column 2:

0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0
0 0
10 Text
0 0
0 0
0 0

My spacing in my examples didnt work, but does that help any?
Senior Member

[...]

An actual workbook is always an easier way to get the point across, but I THINK I get what you mean. Have a look at the attachment...
Attached Files
File Type: zip LukeShep Example.zip (5.7 KB, 41 views)
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
An actual workbook is always an easier way to get the point across, but I THINK I get what you mean. Have a look at the attachment...
Yep that worked thanks a ton. Next time i will just post the workbook. New and didn't realize i could attack it. Thanks again. I work in excel a ton and have kinda taught myself how to use it. Just discovered this site and am learning a ton from reading other posts.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeShep View Post
Yep that worked thanks a ton. Next time i will just post the workbook. New and didn't realize i could attack it. Thanks again. I work in excel a ton and have kinda taught myself how to use it. Just discovered this site and am learning a ton from reading other posts.
Not a problem mate. Glad to help.

I'm self taught too and always happy to help. So look forward to reading your next query :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

have a column of information that is being pulled from an adjacent
column where only 1 cell will have anything in it but 0. I need to pull
whatever cell in the columns information to a single cell somewhere
else.

Suppose B is the column with only 1 cell will have anything in it but 0.

Suppose A is the column to pull information from.

If the non-zero cell in column B is always a positive number, then try:
=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(MAX(B:B),B:B,0))