Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Data Validation

I think I am having to use the Data Validation tool for what I want to
do. The end result I want is this: I click on a drop down (lets say in
B3) and choose a dept such as "HR". Once I choose "HR" from the drop
down list, it will automatically pull the proper dept code (such as
10-53-24-1).

I was able to get this to work with multiple columns, where I would
choose "HR" from the list (in B3) and it's dept code would display in
B4. I want everything to display in B3.

From what I gather at this point, I would need two separate columns,
one for Depts and another for Dept Codes (I can create my drop down
from there with the Data Validation tool). I am having difficulty
accomplishing my goal.

I've tried using the REPLACE and SUBSTITUE functions, but I'm starting
to think that will not work.

Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try resisting the temptation of Cross-Posting over multiple NG's.

It means that your answer may be replicated and wastes people's time
when they could use that on other stuff.