Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Crazy Data Validation ... List Validation Not Working

I'm working on a 1.5MB Excel 2003 Workbook with numerous named
ranges. We have several cells that are being validated through the
list variation of data validation. The Error Stop is turned on. Each
source list is a named range on the individual sheets. Everything
works fine when you select from the drop-down, but when you manually
type something that is not in the list, no error is received. It
allows the entry ... and yes, I've looked at the Stop setting.

What's funny about this is that it only occurrs on our list
validations. We have other fields that are being validated for text
length, dates, and numeric values - when a user enters a non-valid
entry the Stop warning appears. The Validation list is the only one
not responding with an error stop message.

Another crazy thing ... when we change the validation to actual cell
references (ie =A1:A15) instead of the named range (=Rname) we get the
validation error. It appears to only not work on every validation
list referencing a named range.

Corrupted workbook? Name Issues? What is going on ???? Any help is
greatly appreciated ...

Thanks,

TW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If there's a blank cell in the range you'll be able to type any value in
the cell with data validation.
If that's the problem, remove the blank cells from the range, or on the
Settings tab in the Data Validation dialog box, remove the check mark
from Ignore blank.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures