allmad

Default Sorting Dates

I am trying to make a list in which the senioraty order is filled in
automatic, and was woundering if there is a function or formula that
will do this.

1 Smith A 24/05/2003 3
2 Rose M 01/06/1987 2
3 Brown D 29/12/2005 4
4 Fisher W 15/10/1976 1

The Numbers in red donates the senioraty order in which they started.
The problem I have is I dont want to alter the rest of the list by
sorting function

Mark

--
allmad
allmad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26407

Ian

You appear to have a numeric column at the beginning of each line (column A)
which will enable you to return to your original order. You can sort on the
date (column C), fill column D in numeric order, then sort again using
column A.
--
Ian
--

I am trying to make a list in which the senioraty order is filled in
automatic, and was woundering if there is a function or formula that
will do this.

1 Smith A 24/05/2003 3
2 Rose M 01/06/1987 2
3 Brown D 29/12/2005 4
4 Fisher W 15/10/1976 1

The Numbers in red donates the senioraty order in which they started.
The problem I have is I dont want to alter the rest of the list by
sorting function

Mark

--
allmad
allmad's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=400404

Jon Quixley

Mark,

I assume that you have your dates in a column next to the name and that
you do no twant to disturb the order of the date/names. In the next
column enter the following formula:

=rank(b1,$b$1:$b$50,1)

Where column B contains the date information from B1 to B50 inclusive.
The answer you should get is the ranking of the date in cell B1 with
respect to all the dates in cells B1 through to B50. Copy this formula
down from C1 to C50 (remember to include the dollar signs in the
formula !

Jon

--
Jon Quixley
Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25803

allmad

That just what I need thanks for you help

--
allmad
allmad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26407
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=400404

allmad

Thank you all for your help.......SORTED :)