Heather

Default Sorting dates

How do I sort a column filled with dates by Month, Day, then Year? The
default seems to be to sort by year first, then month.
Biff

Hi!

Here's an idea.

Assume dates are in column A, A1:An.

You need 3 helper columns: B, C, and D.

In B1, C1 and D1 enter these formulas respectively:

=MONTH(A1)
=DAY(A1)
=YEAR(A1)

Select cells B1, C1 and D1 and copy down to the end of the list of dates in
column A.

With that range still selected do a Copy/Paste Special/Values

Now, select the entire range A1:Dn

Sort by column B then by column C then by column D.

When done and satisified, get rid of the helper data.

Biff

"Heather" wrote in message
How do I sort a column filled with dates by Month, Day, then Year? The
default seems to be to sort by year first, then month.

Question on sorting dates Excel heavy user Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 January 21st 05 05:12 PM
sorting using dates Tpason Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 14th 05 09:21 PM
Formating Dates for production schedule dpl7579 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 11th 05 08:43 PM
due dates Niki New Users to Excel 4 January 10th 05 04:11 PM
Sorting dates Herb Excel Worksheet Functions 3 October 30th 04 01:22 AM