-   -   Sorting dates (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/32037-sorting-dates.html)

Heather

Sorting dates

How do I sort a column filled with dates by Month, Day, then Year? The
default seems to be to sort by year first, then month.

Biff

Hi!

Here's an idea.

Assume dates are in column A, A1:An.

You need 3 helper columns: B, C, and D.

In B1, C1 and D1 enter these formulas respectively:

=MONTH(A1)
=DAY(A1)
=YEAR(A1)

Select cells B1, C1 and D1 and copy down to the end of the list of dates in
column A.

With that range still selected do a Copy/Paste Special/Values

Now, select the entire range A1:Dn

Sort by column B then by column C then by column D.

When done and satisified, get rid of the helper data.

Biff