Sylvia

Default How can I merge and link workbooks into one summary workbook?

hello!

I am desperate - I need to link several workooks from different departments
together to create one summary workbook that is automatically updated..

Can anyone help? If I just do "paste link" the format is different and it
doesn't really work. In the best case this should be a mutual link - if the
summary is updated, the source documents should be as well. is that possible?
Thank you! Sylvia
Duke Carey

Links are one-way only. You can "pull" info out of a cell in another
workbook, but you can't "push" new data back into that cell, at least not
without writing VBA code to do it.

If your main objection to what you are currently trying to do is the lost
formatting, then add an extra step to the process: after you've completed
the 'paste link' step, go back into Edit-Paste Special... and paste formats.

"Sylvia" wrote:

hello!

I am desperate - I need to link several workooks from different departments
together to create one summary workbook that is automatically updated..

Can anyone help? If I just do "paste link" the format is different and it
doesn't really work. In the best case this should be a mutual link - if the
summary is updated, the source documents should be as well. is that possible?
Thank you! Sylvia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have 50+ workbooks that are identical in format. I would like to create 1
summary workbook without opening and clicking on the first cells in all the
workbooks and copying the formula to all data cells on each of the sheets.
Is there a way to sum the same cell in all the workbooks accross all data
cells on each tab without manually clicking each link? The summary file
would automatically update when changes are made to the 50+ detail workbooks.

"Sylvia" wrote:

hello!

I am desperate - I need to link several workooks from different departments
together to create one summary workbook that is automatically updated..

Can anyone help? If I just do "paste link" the format is different and it
doesn't really work. In the best case this should be a mutual link - if the
summary is updated, the source documents should be as well. is that possible?
Thank you! Sylvia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try the example here
http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

Or if you only want the values try the add-in (very easy)
http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm