YanYan

Default Validation List, Automatic Colors

I have a validation list on my worksheet, the list includes different codes
such as HD, SL, OR and RES. Whenever HD is chosen, I want it to turn red,
whenever RES is chosen, I want it to turn purple. How do I do this?
Ashish Mathur

Select the cell and go to FormatConditional Formatting.
Select "Cell Value", "equal to", "HD" (this last one should not be in
apostrophe"
Now go to format and select the desired in the Pattern tab
Click on OK and OK again

Regards,

Ashish

"YanYan" wrote:

I have a validation list on my worksheet, the list includes different codes
such as HD, SL, OR and RES. Whenever HD is chosen, I want it to turn red,
whenever RES is chosen, I want it to turn purple. How do I do this?

Max

If its only 2 colours to be triggered,
we could use normal conditional formatting

Assuming col A, A1 down is where the codes will be selected

Select col A
Click Format Conditional Formatting

Under Condition 1, put it as:
Formula is: =A1="HD"
Click Format button Patterns tab Red? OK

Click Add

Under Condition 2, put it as:
Formula is: =A1="RES"
Click Format button Patterns tab Purple? OK
Click OK at the main dialog

--
Rgds
Max