Big Boss

Default Prefix

How do I prefix a character to all all the filled in cells in a column
Big Boss

Thank you for responding to my query. I guess I was not clear. My apologies.
I will rephraze my question.

I have data (numbers and text) in 20 cells A1 to A20 and I want to add "-"
in the front of contents of A1 to A20. How do I do it without using F2?

Thanks
Big Boss

"Andy Brown" wrote:

"Big Boss" <Big wrote in message
How do I prefix a character to all all the filled in cells in a column

To do this with a formula, use e.g.

=IF(A1<"","X"&A1,"")

in a spare column and drag it down.

If you want to go on to replace the originals, copy the formulas, then use
Edit -- Paste Special -- Values.

Andy Brown

"Big Boss" wrote in message
I have data (numbers and text) in 20 cells A1 to A20 and I want to add "-"
in the front of contents of A1 to A20. How do I do it without using F2?

Select B1:B20, then type:

="-"&

Then click on A1, then press CTRL+Enter.

Refer to previous reply for how to convert these from formulas to actual
values.