Dan23

Default using forms in a shared workbook

I'm trying to help three people share a master workbook. I've
implemented a process involving shared a shared workbook. The trouble
is, they like entering their data in FORMS which seems to be disabled
once the workbook is shared. Who knew.

Anyway, anybody know of a way for me to help these people keep their
precious forms while also maintaining an effective shared file?

FWIW, this is what MS has to say about disabled fearues with sharing on
-- I don't see forms spelled out, but maybe it's something to do with
data tables:

"The following features can't be changed after a workbook is shared:
merged cells, conditional formats, data validation, charts, pictures,
objects including drawing objects, hyperlinks, scenarios, outlines,
subtotals, data tables, PivotTable reports, workbook and worksheet
protection, and macros."

Thanks,

Dan

--
Dan23
Dan23's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26058

Dave Peterson

I could use Data|Form to change existing data in my form (I'm using xl2003).

But I couldn't delete or add a new record.

But under excel's help for: Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks

I see this:

Unavailable feature Alternatives
Insert or delete blocks of cells You can insert entire rows and columns.

So it sure looks documented to me.

Dan23 wrote:

[...]

Dan23

Thanks, Dave. I guess I was reading an abbrev. set of limitations. And
I did see the ability to read via Forms, but was really interested in
entering new records.
The ease of data entry seems to be of most importance to these folks,
so I'll probably work out a process for cutting and pasting updates
periodically into a master document without turning on sharing.

-Dan

--
Dan23
Dan23's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26058
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=393976

Dave Peterson

Maybe you can include some blank rows at the top of your data (or intermingled
with the data)--and name that extended range: DataBase

(or sheet1!Database to give it a worksheet level name.)