Marietta

Default Cell borders and fill

I've added fill to some of the rows in my worksheet, and since the default
cell borders disappeared I added borders and saved the sheet. However, the
borders keep disappearing even after being saved, file closed and reopened.
How can I keep cell borders with fill?
Anne Troy

There is something wrong, Marietta. You should certainly be able to add
borders to filled cells. Perhaps you need to troubleshoot Excel.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Marietta" wrote in message
I've added fill to some of the rows in my worksheet, and since the default
cell borders disappeared I added borders and saved the sheet. However,

the
borders keep disappearing even after being saved, file closed and

reopened.
How can I keep cell borders with fill?

Marietta

Thank you, Anne. I found one on borders and realized I had not changed the
color of the internal border lines - I wonder if since it showed "automatic"
Excel was arbitrarily changing the line color to match the fill? I didn't
have any loss of borders when I reopened the file this time, but if it
happens again I'll be sure to specify black rather than automatic to see if
that solves the problem.

"Marietta" wrote in message
I've added fill to some of the rows in my worksheet, and since the default
cell borders disappeared I added borders and saved the sheet. However,

the
borders keep disappearing even after being saved, file closed and

reopened.
How can I keep cell borders with fill?

Anne Troy

That should definitely solve the problem. "Automatic" doesn't mean black at
all, but it's more like "Default", which can change depending on fill color.
:)
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Marietta" wrote in message
I've added fill to some of the rows in my worksheet, and since the

default
cell borders disappeared I added borders and saved the sheet.

However,
the
borders keep disappearing even after being saved, file closed and

reopened.
How can I keep cell borders with fill?

Debra Dalgleish

As far as I know, the Automatic colour depends on your Display settings,
not your fill colour.

To change the display settings:

Right-click on an empty part of the computer desktop
Choose Properties
On the Appearance tab, click the Advanced button
From Item dropdown list, choose Window
From the font colour palette, select black

--
Debra Dalgleish