Bob Smith

Default Possible to insert cell data in the middle of line of text?

Hi folks,

Using Excel 2003. Would like to know whether it's possible to include the
results listed in one cell, in the middle of a line of text in another cell.

IOW, the results are listed in cell L32.

The line of text is in L38. I've tried doing - "Annually, at the
(=SUM(L32)) weekly figu" - but obviously, that doesn't work.

TIA for any info you can provide.

Bob

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

= "Annually, at the " & L32 & " weekly figu"

Arvi Laanemets

"Bob Smith" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi folks,

Using Excel 2003. Would like to know whether it's possible to include the
results listed in one cell, in the middle of a line of text in another

cell.

IOW, the results are listed in cell L32.

The line of text is in L38. I've tried doing - "Annually, at the
(=SUM(L32)) weekly figu" - but obviously, that doesn't work.

TIA for any info you can provide.

Bob

Bob Smith

"Arvi Laanemets" wrote in message
Hi

= "Annually, at the " & L32 & " weekly figu"

Arvi Laanemets

Arvi - thanks for that timely reply. :) It works, however, on the worksheet
the data shows up as a number instead of currency. IOW, in cell l32, it had
a sum of $273.88.

The number listed in L38 shows up as 273.878476190476. Doesn't show up as
currency and takes up too much space in the cell.

I've tried to format L38 in different number formats - currency, accounting,
special and it doesn't change the number.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

=TEXT(A1;"$#.00")
= "Annually, at the " & TEXT(L32;"$#.00") & " weekly figu"

Format affects only the cell, it is applied to. Really it affects how data
in formatted cell are displayed, not the data itself. I.e. when you format
the cell with number 2 as currency, it is displayed as $2.00, but really the
cell contains the number 2. Format ther same cell as date - and 2nd January
of 1900 is displayed, etc. When you reference the cell, then the source
format is not inherited.

Arvi Laanemets

"Bob Smith" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Arvi Laanemets" wrote in message
Hi

= "Annually, at the " & L32 & " weekly figu"

Arvi Laanemets

Arvi - thanks for that timely reply. :) It works, however, on the

worksheet
the data shows up as a number instead of currency. IOW, in cell l32, it

had
a sum of $273.88.

The number listed in L38 shows up as 273.878476190476. Doesn't show up as
currency and takes up too much space in the cell.

I've tried to format L38 in different number formats - currency,

accounting,
special and it doesn't change the number.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Smith

"Arvi Laanemets" wrote in message
Hi

=TEXT(A1;"$#.00")
= "Annually, at the " & TEXT(L32;"$#.00") & " weekly figu"

Format affects only the cell, it is applied to. Really it affects how data
in formatted cell are displayed, not the data itself. I.e. when you format
the cell with number 2 as currency, it is displayed as $2.00, but really

the
cell contains the number 2. Format ther same cell as date - and 2nd

January
of 1900 is displayed, etc. When you reference the cell, then the source
format is not inherited.

Arvi Laanemets

Thanks again for the reply Arvi, but the above isn't working. I've done a
copy & paste on the formula above, formatted the cell for text, then tried
currency and neither one works. Is it possible that there is an extra space
character I need to take out?

Thanks, Bob

Arvi Laanemets

Sorry!

Replace semicoons in formula with commas!

Arvi Laanemets

"Bob Smith" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

Bob Smith

Thanks Arvi - I just figured it out myself using this formula

="Annually, at the "&TEXT(L32,"$0.00")&" weekly figu" and formatting cell
as currency. :)

Didn't see any semi colons in your formulas.

Again, thanks for leading me towards the right direction.

Regards, Bob

"Arvi Laanemets" wrote in message
Sorry!

Replace semicoons in formula with commas!

Arvi Laanemets

hlink.net...