Richard Buttrey

Default Summing a variable range of columns

Can anyone suggest a formula to do the following

Whe

A1 = 6
A2 = 3
A3 = 9

B1:J1 = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
B2:J2 = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
B3:J3 = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Formulae in C1:C3 to do the following:

In C1 I want to add the first 6 (the 6 is defined by A1) cells in the
range B1:J1 and result in the number 21

In C2 I want to add the first 3 (the 3 is defined by A2) cells in the
range B1:J1 and result in the number 6

In C3 I want to add the first 9 (the 9 is defined by A3) cells in the
range B1:J1 and result in the number 45

Usual TIA

Regards

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
Roger Govier

In cell C1
=SUM(INDIRECT("B1:B"&A1)
copy down through C2:C3

--
Regards
Roger Govier
[...]

Richard Buttrey

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:20:24 +0100, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

In cell C1
=SUM(INDIRECT("B1:B"&A1)
copy down through C2:C3

Roger,

Thanks for the quick repsonse. I apologise for sewing some confusion.

I should have said that I want the results in K1:K3 and that it is
Cells B1, C1, D1, E1 etc, which have the values 1, 2, 3, 4.. etc
respectively. i.e. I'm adding a variable range of either 3, 6 or 9
cells depending on the value in A

I also need an additional formula which adds the first, fourth or
seventh cells depending on the value in A.

i.e. given the earlier data.

In say L1 (where A1= 6) I need to add B1 and E1 = 5
In say L2 (where A1= 3) I just need B1 = 1
In say L3 (where A1= 9) I need to add B1 and E1 and H1= 12

Any ideas / suggestion gratefully received.

Regards

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:13:36 +0100, Richard Buttrey
wrote:

Can anyone suggest a formula to do the following

Whe

A1 = 6
A2 = 3
A3 = 9

B1:J1 = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
B2:J2 = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
B3:J3 = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Formulae in C1:C3 to do the following:

In C1 I want to add the first 6 (the 6 is defined by A1) cells in the
range B1:J1 and result in the number 21

In C2 I want to add the first 3 (the 3 is defined by A2) cells in the
range B1:J1 and result in the number 6

In C3 I want to add the first 9 (the 9 is defined by A3) cells in the
range B1:J1 and result in the number 45

Usual TIA

Regards

__
Richard Buttrey

It's not possible as the conditions you specify set up a circular reference; in
addition, you cannot have both the number '2' and a formula in the same cell
(column C).

If you would care to purt your formulas in other than C1:C3, you could use the
formula:

=SUM(OFFSET(B1,,,,A1))

for Row 1 and copy/drag down as needed.

If you want something else, or really want to use a circular reference, I'd
need more details of exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

--ron
Roger Govier

Richard
It wasn't you causing confusion, it was me misreading.
In cell K1
=SUM(B1:OFFSET(B1,0,A1-1))
and copy down

--
Regards
Roger Govier
wrote:

[...]

Richard Buttrey

Roger,

Brilliant. Thanks.

Sorry to be a pest but do you have any thoughts on the second example,
where I want to sum either the 1st, 1st & 4th or 1st, 4th & 7th
columns in the B:J range depending on the A value

TIA

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:50:08 +0100, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

Richard
It wasn't you causing confusion, it was me misreading.
In cell K1
=SUM(B1:OFFSET(B1,0,A1-1))
and copy down

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
Richard Buttrey

Ron,

My apologies for confusing the matter. I should have referred to
column K rather than column C

Thanks for your input.

Rgds

wrote:

[...]

Roger Govier

Richard
In L1
=CHOOSE(--SUM(A1=7,A1=4)+1,B1,(B1+E1),(B1+E1+H1))
copy down

--
Regards
Roger Govier

wrote:

Richard
It wasn't you causing confusion, it was me misreading.
In cell K1
=SUM(B1:OFFSET(B1,0,A1-1))
and copy down

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________

Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:07:22 +0100, Richard Buttrey
wrote:

Ron,

My apologies for confusing the matter. I should have referred to
column K rather than column C

Thanks for your input.

Rgds

You're welcome.

K1: =SUM(OFFSET(B1,,,,A1))

should work just fine. Copy/Drag down as needed.

You also asked about, 1; 1&4; 1&4&7 depending on contents of A1.

I'm not certain of the relationship between A1 and your three choices.

Since 1-9 are already spoken for, I suppose you could use A, B, & C for your
three choices.

Or did you have something else in mind?

--ron
Ron Rosenfeld

wrote:

Ron,

My apologies for confusing the matter. I should have referred to
column K rather than column C

Thanks for your input.

Rgds

Oops, I saw your subsequent posting and see how you want to determine 1, vs
1&4, vs 1&4&7.

Assuming you're being quite specific, the following formula should do what you
describe:

=SUMPRODUCT((COLUMN(B1:J1)<=CHOOSE(A1/3,2,5,8))*
(MOD(COLUMN(B1:J1)-2,3)=0)*B1:J1)

--ron