Heather at WEO

Default how to alter cell format if cell contains text

I am trying to create an appointment book for four staff members to use
across a network. When an appointment is made, I would like the cell
containing the name of the client to be shaded (as well as the cell to the
immediate right of it) while all free appointment times remain white. I dont
know how to use istext and conditional formatting together when I am
conceivable affecting 365 days with 6 available times per day. Any ideas?
Morrigan

Select the two cells you want to be shaded - Conditional Formatting

Formula is =COUNTA($A1)

Hope this helps.

--
Morrigan
Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094

Heather at WEO

Thanks Morrigan
I couldnt make that work. I've not used conditional formatting before which
is why I'm a bit vague about all this. I need the cell containing the name
of the person who has booked an appointment to become grey to help identify
the other free appointment times and your suggestion left the cell grey until
I clicked away from it. Any other ideas? Thanks for your time!

Heather at WEO Wrote:
I am trying to create an appointment book for four staff members to use
across a network. When an appointment is made, I would like the cell
containing the name of the client to be shaded (as well as the cell to
the
immediate right of it) while all free appointment times remain white.
I dont
know how to use istext and conditional formatting together when I am
conceivable affecting 365 days with 6 available times per day. Any
ideas?

--
Morrigan
Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390717

Morrigan

What this formula does is whenever A1 is not empty, it will be shaded.
Let's say you input John Smith into cell A1, then A1 should turn grey.
Once you delete the name, A1 should be white again.

Is that how you want it?

Heather at WEO Wrote:
I am trying to create an appointment book for four staff members to

use
across a network. When an appointment is made, I would like the

cell
containing the name of the client to be shaded (as well as the cell

the
immediate right of it) while all free appointment times remain

white.
I dont
know how to use istext and conditional formatting together when I

am
conceivable affecting 365 days with 6 available times per day.

Any
ideas?

--
Morrigan

Morrigan's Profile:

View this thread:

Morrigan
Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390717

Heather at WEO

OK, got that working, thanks Morrigan! Now, any idea how to copy that
conditional format to innumerable cells? I take it I cant do the same but
format the cells' alignment (ie, merge them)?