Lori

Default Desperate Help needed with a function.

I am an average excel user and cannot figure out if this function is possible.

I have a data list with company name, contact name, address, city, state,
zip, and sales rep. It has over 10,000 names. I need to find out how many
companies in each state then subtotal it by each city. I also want the city
name to appear with the total without having to type it in for each one.

This would be used for the sales person to know how many companies are in a
particular city.

Thank you.
Anne Troy

Hi, Lori. You need the subtotals feature. You'll just choose COUNT instead
of SUM. Sort first by State, then by City. See this:

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Lori" wrote in message
I am an average excel user and cannot figure out if this function is

possible.

I have a data list with company name, contact name, address, city, state,
zip, and sales rep. It has over 10,000 names. I need to find out how

many
companies in each state then subtotal it by each city. I also want the

city
name to appear with the total without having to type it in for each one.

This would be used for the sales person to know how many companies are in

particular city.

Thank you.

Debra Dalgleish

You can use a pivot table to summarize the date by state, and city.
There are instructions in Excel's Help, and Jon Peltier has information
and links:

Add State and City to the row area, and Company to the data area, where
it will become Count of Company.
Add Sales person to the Page area, and you can see just the companies
assigned to that sales rep.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Excel option to store trendline's coefficients in cells for use Miguel Saldana Charts and Charting in Excel 9 June 20th 05 08:45 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
special function help needed DanceNFree Excel Worksheet Functions 5 May 10th 05 08:51 PM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM