Nelson

Default Consecutive Numbers down a column not to Exceed 49

Hi there,

I have 6 columns across going 40 rows down. I'm entering random numbers in
row 1 across columns A to F. The numbers have to stay in a range from 1 to
49 but are totally random in row 1. From rows 2 through 40 I want the
numbers to automatically fill down consecutively but not to exceed 49. When
a certain column hits 49 I want that column to start over at 1 again.

Im a total newbie when it comes to excel.

I did try entering A1+1 in cell A2 and then highlighting the remaining rows
down to 40 in column A. I then went to the edit menu and choosing fill €“
down. The problem here was that when I entered any number larger than 10 in
row 1 I would go over 49 somewhere down the column. I need the numbers to
start back at 1 when 49 is reached.

A B C D E F
Row 1 46 31 7 15 43 19
Row 2 47 32 8 16 44 20
Row 3 48 33 9 17 45 21
Row 4 49 34 10 18 46 22
Row 5 1 35 11 19 47 23
Row 6 2 36 12 20 48 24
Row 7 3 37 13 21 49 25
Row 8 4 38 14 22 1 26
Row 9 5 39 15 23 2 27

Thanks in Advance
Nelson

Bernie Deitrick

Nelson,

Instead of
=A1+1

Use

=IF(A1+1=50,1,A1+1)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Nelson" wrote in message
[...]

N Harkawat

On cell A2 type
=A1*(A1<49)+1
and fill all the way down and across

"Nelson" wrote in message
[...]

Mangus Pyke

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:19:08 -0700, Nelson wrote:
I have 6 columns across going 40 rows down. I'm entering random numbers in
row 1 across columns A to F. The numbers have to stay in a range from 1 to
49 but are totally random in row 1. From rows 2 through 40 I want the
numbers to automatically fill down consecutively but not to exceed 49. When
a certain column hits 49 I want that column to start over at 1 again.

Put this in A2, drag across through F2, and then drag down as far as
you need:

=IF(A1=49,1,A1+1)

This will check to see if the previous number was 49, if this is true,
it will put "1", otherwise, it will add 1 to the previous number.

MP-

--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Nelson

WOW that was quick!!!
Thanks a bunch guys!!!
All 3 of these formulas worked like a charm.

Thanks Again
Nelson

"Mangus Pyke" wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:19:08 -0700, Nelson wrote:
I have 6 columns across going 40 rows down. I'm entering random numbers in
row 1 across columns A to F. The numbers have to stay in a range from 1 to
49 but are totally random in row 1. From rows 2 through 40 I want the
numbers to automatically fill down consecutively but not to exceed 49. When
a certain column hits 49 I want that column to start over at 1 again.

Put this in A2, drag across through F2, and then drag down as far as
you need:

=IF(A1=49,1,A1+1)

This will check to see if the previous number was 49, if this is true,
it will put "1", otherwise, it will add 1 to the previous number.

MP-

--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner

Mangus Pyke

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:33:04 -0700, Nelson wrote:
WOW that was quick!!!
Thanks a bunch guys!!!
All 3 of these formulas worked like a charm.

Mine was definitely better than those others..

:)

MP-
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Harlan Grove

Nelson wrote...
I have 6 columns across going 40 rows down. I'm entering random numbers in
row 1 across columns A to F. The numbers have to stay in a range from 1 to
49 but are totally random in row 1. From rows 2 through 40 I want the
numbers to automatically fill down consecutively but not to exceed 49. When
a certain column hits 49 I want that column to start over at 1 again.

One more option. With a random integer from 1 to 49 in A1, use the
following formula in A2.

=MOD(A1,49)+1