Donna

Default calculate the number of days from date received

I would like to know how to write the formula so that I can calculate the
number of days from received date. Received date is a column and the formula
is in another column. When I open the spreadsheet first thing in the
morning, it should change all the numbers. I have to wait 7 days from
receipt of Return receipt of Registered mail before I can send to County
Attorney. I need this column to tell me it is time to process legally. Can
anyone help?

Thanks
Donna
Bob Phillips

=TODAY()-A2

You could also use conditional formatting to see if the time exceeds 7 days.
See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CF.html#basic

--

HTH

RP

"Donna" wrote in message
I would like to know how to write the formula so that I can calculate the
number of days from received date. Received date is a column and the

formula
is in another column. When I open the spreadsheet first thing in the
morning, it should change all the numbers. I have to wait 7 days from
receipt of Return receipt of Registered mail before I can send to County
Attorney. I need this column to tell me it is time to process legally.

Can
anyone help?

Thanks
Donna

Ruthki

put forumla =now() in another cell (this will always
calculate todays date)

in your forumla column put
=DATEDIF(A2,$B$2,"d")
where a2 is the cell with the original date and b2 is the cell with
now() in.

Ruthki
Ruthki's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24503
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388066

Fanatik

Hi Donna

The function =TODAY() will take the computer's current date.

So using the formula =TODAY()-B1 (assuming the received date is in column
B), will deduct today's date from the received date. You'll have to format
the cell which contains this formula to number, to see the number of days
which have past, but the numbers will change each day.

Hope it helps!

"Donna" wrote:

I would like to know how to write the formula so that I can calculate the
number of days from received date. Received date is a column and the formula
is in another column. When I open the spreadsheet first thing in the
morning, it should change all the numbers. I have to wait 7 days from
receipt of Return receipt of Registered mail before I can send to County
Attorney. I need this column to tell me it is time to process legally. Can
anyone help?

Thanks
Donna

Gary L Brown

If you're looking for a countdown such as '5 days until you can send', '4
days until you can send','3 days until you can send', etc.
Assuming your Received Date is in Cell 'A1' and you want to know how many
days until you can send, try...
=IF(+$A$2+7-INT(Now())<=0,0,+$A$2+7-INT(Now()))
This will stay at zero if it is past time to send
HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''''Yes'''' button next to
''''Was this Post Helpfull to you?".

"Donna" wrote:

I would like to know how to write the formula so that I can calculate the
number of days from received date. Received date is a column and the formula
is in another column. When I open the spreadsheet first thing in the
morning, it should change all the numbers. I have to wait 7 days from
receipt of Return receipt of Registered mail before I can send to County
Attorney. I need this column to tell me it is time to process legally. Can
anyone help?

Thanks
Donna

Mangus Pyke

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:24:02 -0700, "Donna"
wrote:

I would like to know how to write the formula so that I can calculate the
number of days from received date. Received date is a column and the formula
is in another column. When I open the spreadsheet first thing in the
morning, it should change all the numbers. I have to wait 7 days from
receipt of Return receipt of Registered mail before I can send to County
Attorney. I need this column to tell me it is time to process legally. Can
anyone help?

Thanks
Donna

If rcvd date is in column A (starting in row 1), and forumla is in
column B, enter this:

=DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"d")

MP-
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
SVC

If cell A1 is the Received date, cell B1 is to contain the number of days
since receipt of the Return receipt, use this formula:

=DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"D")

This formula will include the date received but not today in the count (e.g.
from 7/11/2005 to 7/18/2005 gives a result of 7). If you need to count today
as 1 day, add 1 to the format (i.e., +1)

The function TODAY() should update automatically each new day. If not,
check under Tools Options Calculation to see that Calculation is set to
Automatic.

If you want, you can add conditional formatting to the cells in columns B
(e.g make the cell change color when it is equal to greater than 7 days).

"Donna" wrote:

I would like to know how to write the formula so that I can calculate the
number of days from received date. Received date is a column and the formula
is in another column. When I open the spreadsheet first thing in the
morning, it should change all the numbers. I have to wait 7 days from
receipt of Return receipt of Registered mail before I can send to County
Attorney. I need this column to tell me it is time to process legally. Can
anyone help?

Thanks
Donna

Morrigan

Assuming ColumnA is your date, try this:

=VALUE(A12)-VALUE(TODAY()) (Be sure cell format is General)

Hope this helps.

Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=388066