pQp

Default Using non defined names from another sheet

I think I'm missing a vital point here. I often use existing (not defined)
labels to reference cells or calculate values on a sheet. Can I also do this
from a different sheet without defining ranges by somehow adding the sheet
name in the reference? (Tried a few permutations of this idea but always get
a #name? error.)
TIA

Norman Jones

Hi pQp.

I may have tottally misunderstood - in which case apologies - but perhaps
you are looking for syntax like:

=Sheet2!A15
or

=SUM(Sheet2!B4:B6)

---
Regards,
Norman

"pQp" wrote in message
I think I'm missing a vital point here. I often use existing (not defined)
labels to reference cells or calculate values on a sheet. Can I also do
this
from a different sheet without defining ranges by somehow adding the sheet
name in the reference? (Tried a few permutations of this idea but always
get
a #name? error.)
TIA

pQp

Yes, Sorry Norman. Thanks for replying but I was worried that I wasn't
explaining properly, because I don't actually know what those non defined
names are called. Basically if you want to refer to a cell or calculate a
range, you don't have to have labels or defined names, simply type something
like =March Income and you will be referring to the cell where March
row intersects Income column, even when those words are not in R1 or C1.
They can be anywhere. You can calculate the same way just using the
words(and numbers) above a group of numbers. If the same words appear more
than once, it will assume the first instance, left to right/top to bottom.
All this works just fine if the 'names' are on the same sheet as the
reference to them.
So, back to it....I'd always thought (until I tried) that to do the same
from another sheet would just be a matter of including the sheet name as you
would any ref (like your example). But either it can't be done or I don't
know the right syntax.
Hope this makes more sense
Thanks again.

"pQp" wrote in message
I think I'm missing a vital point here. I often use existing (not

defined)
labels to reference cells or calculate values on a sheet. Can I also do
this
from a different sheet without defining ranges by somehow adding the

sheet
name in the reference? (Tried a few permutations of this idea but always
get
a #name? error.)
TIA

Don Guillett

The basic thing you are trying to do is match the month in the column to the
category in the row. So, this example would do it.
=INDEX(A1:M5,MATCH("feb",J1:J5),MATCH("income",A1: M1,0))
You could write a UDF to do what you desire and then
=myudf("feb","income")
or
=myudg(a1,b1)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"pQp" wrote in message
I think I'm missing a vital point here. I often use existing (not

defined)
labels to reference cells or calculate values on a sheet. Can I also

do
this
from a different sheet without defining ranges by somehow adding the

sheet
name in the reference? (Tried a few permutations of this idea but

always
get
a #name? error.)
TIA

Norman Jones

Hi pQp,

You appear to be talking about names added with the:

Insert | Names | Create

command.

If so, you can use these names, on any sheet within the workbook, without
using any sheet qualification.

If, therefore, the original table used to create the names included:

Anne 100
Freda 200
Frank 300

On any sheet within the workbook, the formula:

=Anne + Freda + Frank

should return 600.

Or, perhaps, I still have not understood?

---
Regards,
Norman

"pQp" wrote in message
I think I'm missing a vital point here. I often use existing (not

defined)
labels to reference cells or calculate values on a sheet. Can I also do
this
from a different sheet without defining ranges by somehow adding the

sheet
name in the reference? (Tried a few permutations of this idea but
always
get
a #name? error.)
TIA

Ragdyer

What you're actually talking about, without realizing the actual label for
it, is "intersection operator", which is simply a single space.

Look it up in the Help files.

*Without* defining or creating any names,
=Tom Dick
will return the intersection of a row and column that contain those 2 names.
That is, as long as <Tools <Options <Calculation tab,
"Accept Labels In Formulas" *IS* checked.

AFAIK, this only works on the sheet that contains the data list that
contains those names.

On the other hand, if you *define* the names "Tom" and "Dick",
To designate specific ranges that intersect, then:
=Tom Dick
will work on *any* page in the WB.
--
HTH,

RD

..

"pQp" wrote in message
I think I'm missing a vital point here. I often use existing (not

defined)
labels to reference cells or calculate values on a sheet. Can I also

do
this
from a different sheet without defining ranges by somehow adding the

sheet
name in the reference? (Tried a few permutations of this idea but

always
get
a #name? error.)
TIA

Norman Jones

Hi Ragdyer,

Thank you.

Clearly, yours is the correct intepretation.

---
Regards,
Norman