Don Guillett

The basic thing you are trying to do is match the month in the column to the
category in the row. So, this example would do it.
=INDEX(A1:M5,MATCH("feb",J1:J5),MATCH("income",A1: M1,0))
You could write a UDF to do what you desire and then
=myudf("feb","income")
or
=myudg(a1,b1)

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"pQp" wrote in message
Yes, Sorry Norman. Thanks for replying but I was worried that I wasn't
explaining properly, because I don't actually know what those non defined
names are called. Basically if you want to refer to a cell or calculate a
range, you don't have to have labels or defined names, simply type

something
like =March Income and you will be referring to the cell where March
row intersects Income column, even when those words are not in R1 or C1.
They can be anywhere. You can calculate the same way just using the
words(and numbers) above a group of numbers. If the same words appear more
than once, it will assume the first instance, left to right/top to bottom.
All this works just fine if the 'names' are on the same sheet as the
reference to them.
So, back to it....I'd always thought (until I tried) that to do the same
from another sheet would just be a matter of including the sheet name as

you
would any ref (like your example). But either it can't be done or I don't
know the right syntax.
Hope this makes more sense
Thanks again.

"Norman Jones" wrote in message
Hi pQp.

I may have tottally misunderstood - in which case apologies - but

perhaps
you are looking for syntax like:

=Sheet2!A15
or

=SUM(Sheet2!B4:B6)

---
Regards,
Norman

"pQp" wrote in message
I think I'm missing a vital point here. I often use existing (not

defined)
labels to reference cells or calculate values on a sheet. Can I also

do
this
from a different sheet without defining ranges by somehow adding the

sheet
name in the reference? (Tried a few permutations of this idea but

always
get
a #name? error.)
TIA