DDF

Default What is the correct function to use, please?

I need to get the number of times each of these appear.

77777
77777
77778
77778
77778
77779

So for 77777 I would want it to display 2, and for 77778 I would want to get
a 3, for 77779 a 1, and etc. Unfortunately the list of zip codes is several
thousand long so I cannot do a COUNT function for each individual zip code (I
want excel to do it all for me). Any suggestions?

KL

Hi DDF,

You may want to use Advanced Filter (menu DataFilterAdvanced Filter) to
create a list of unique values and then the function COUNTIF().

Regards,
KL

"DDF" wrote in message
I need to get the number of times each of these appear.

77777
77777
77778
77778
77778
77779

So for 77777 I would want it to display 2, and for 77778 I would want to
get
a 3, for 77779 a 1, and etc. Unfortunately the list of zip codes is
several
thousand long so I cannot do a COUNT function for each individual zip code
(I
want excel to do it all for me). Any suggestions?

RagDyer

Say your list of data is in Column A.
Enter this in B1 and copy down as needed:

=COUNTIF(A:A,A1)

If the data in Column A is contiguous, you can *double click* on the fill
handle of B1, which will *automatically* copy the formula in B1 down Column
B, as far as there is data in Column A.
--
HTH,

RD

"DDF" wrote in message
I need to get the number of times each of these appear.

77777
77777
77778
77778
77778
77779

So for 77777 I would want it to display 2, and for 77778 I would want to

get
a 3, for 77779 a 1, and etc. Unfortunately the list of zip codes is

several
thousand long so I cannot do a COUNT function for each individual zip code

(I
want excel to do it all for me). Any suggestions?

Excel option to store trendline's coefficients in cells for use Miguel Saldana Charts and Charting in Excel 9 June 20th 05 08:45 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM
pmt function in Excel does not return correct monthly payment amou Harraman@Bangalore Excel Worksheet Functions 6 March 3rd 05 01:28 PM