Nick

Default Contents of adjacent cell from a function

I have a list (column) of three digit numbers (telephone area codes) that
have an adjacent listing of number of calls associated with each area code.
Elsewhere on the spreadsheet I use the Large function to determine the top
ten area codes by call volume. My problem is identifying the area code
associated with each of the top ten. Offset would seems to be the answer but
I don't know how to use the Large function as the reference in the Offset
function.
A B
201 15
202 25
203 12
zzz xxx

Top Ten
Area Codes Calls
? 25 =Large(b1:bxxx,1)
? 15 =Large(b1:bxxx,2)
? 12 =Large(b1:bxxx,3)

--
Thanks,
Nick

Nick

This seems to work well except that duplicate entries in column B always
return the first occurrence from column A. Any thoughts and thanks for your
help, it's greatly appreciated.
--
Thanks,
Nick

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Ragdyer

Lets say that *YOUR* Large() formula is in Column C, with the Area codes in
A and the number of calls in B.

Enter this in D1, and copy down to D10:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$25,SMALL(IF($B$1:$B$25=C1,ROW($A$1: $A$25)),COUNTIF(C1:$C$10,C
1)))

This will return the area codes with duplicate volumes in Column C, in the
order that they are listed in Column A.

If you wish to reverse this listing of duplicates, simply replace the
Small() function in the formula with Large().
--
HTH,

RD