MWH

Default Up Arrows / Down Arrows

If cell A2 A1 I would like to show an up arrow next to the value, and visa
versa...

--
Mark W. Hanford

Charles T. Garrett

Post did not show the arrows. They were replaced with question marks.
Replace the question marks with the following information. Use Alt+24 for
the up arrow, and Alt+25 for the down arrow. (Excel 2000)

"Charles T. Garrett" wrote in message
om...

=IF(A1A2,"?","?")

? alt+25

? alt+24

"MWH" wrote in message
If cell A2 A1 I would like to show an up arrow next to the value, and
visa versa...

--
Mark W. Hanford

Norman Jones

Hi MWH,

Try the following two-pronged approach:

(1) In B2: =If(A2A1, "p","q") Format with Windings3 font.

(2) Set conditional formats for the three possible cases:

=A1A2 | Font: Bold Red
=A1<A2 | Font: Bold Green
=A1 =A2 | Font: Normal White

---
Regards,
Norman

"MWH" wrote in message
If cell A2 A1 I would like to show an up arrow next to the value, and
visa versa...

--
Mark W. Hanford

Norman Jones

Hi MWH,

Try Changing:

=If(A2A1, "p","q")

=IF(A1=A2,"",IF(A2A1, "p","q")

--

---
Regards,

"MWH" wrote in message
If cell A2 A1 I would like to show an up arrow next to the value, and
visa versa...

--
Mark W. Hanford

Norman Jones

Hi MWH,

Just to add, using both of the approaches indicated in my initial reply, the
arrows would appear red, green or invisible (white on white background)
acoccording to A1A2, A1<A2 or A1=A2.

If , therefore, you include the conditional format element, you do not need
to use the revised formula.

---
Regards,
Norman

"MWH" wrote in message
If cell A2 A1 I would like to show an up arrow next to the value, and
visa versa...

--
Mark W. Hanford

MWH

Ok, Just one more question :) is there a way to concatenate this
formula?=SUM(daily_Totals!F6) and your formula
=IF(F8=E8,"",IF(F8E8,"p","q")
I'm getting the data from another worksheet, and I would like
the up-arrow or down-arrow to show next to the value. I am trying to develop
an indicator to track man-hours and show where are our overall gains or
losses are coming from. The original data is coming from access and exported
to excel. Thanks again!

"MWH" wrote in message
If cell A2 A1 I would like to show an up arrow next to the value, and
visa versa...

--
Mark W. Hanford

ernestgoh

(2) Set conditional formats for the three possible cases:

=A1A2 | Font: Bold Red
=A1<A2 | Font: Bold Green
=A1 =A2 | Font: Normal White

I know this off topic but I read with interest on conditional
formatting. How do you go abouts setting the condtion? I went to
Edit-Go To-Special.

--
ernestgoh
ernestgoh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24870

Norman Jones

Hi Ernestgoh,

I know this off topic but I read with interest on conditional
formatting. How do you go abouts setting the condtion? I went to
Edit-Go To-Special.

:Debra Dalgleish has a superb tutorial on conditional formatting (one of a
number!) at:

http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

---
Regards,
Norman

"ernestgoh" wrote
in message ...

Norman Jones

Hi MWH,

Ok, Just one more question :) is there a way to concatenate this
formula?=SUM(daily_Totals!F6) and your formula
=IF(F8=E8,"",IF(F8E8,"p","q")

It is not apparent what you mean by 'concatenate' in this context.

Certainly it is possible to replace one or more of the above cell references
with an expressions which return values. For example:

= If(SUM(daily_Totals!F6) Some_Value, "p","q")

You would, however, need to provide details sufficient for someone to
construct an appropriate formula.

More particularly, in your initial post you clearly enunciated the
A1A2 and A1<2 conditions..

If you can provide similar information for the SUM(daily_Totals!F6)
expression, I am sure that solutions will be forthcoming.

---
Regards,
Norman

"MWH" wrote in message
Hi Norman

[...]

MWH

My initial value is coming from another worksheet within the workbook
=SUM(daily_Totals!F6). The cell adjacent to contains your formula for
showing the arrows =IF(F8=E8,"",IF(F8E8,"p","q") I would like to combine
the formula so the cell that contains the value and will show the arrow
also.

[...]

"MWH" wrote in message
Hi Norman

[...]

Norman Jones

Hi MWH,

Forgive any obtuseness on my part, but could you explain what values are
held in E8 and F8 (using your cell references) and what the relationship of
these cells is to the SUM(daily_Totals!F6) value. More particularly, what
does the value SUM(daily_Totals!F6) have to exceed for the up arrow and
what does it have to be less than for the down arrow to show?

---
Regards,
Norman

"MWH" wrote in message
[...]

"MWH" wrote in message
Hi Norman

[...]

MWH

SUM(daily_Totals!F6) is just cell F6 on worksheet "daily_Totals" The values
on worksheet "daily_totals" comes from an access export query. Lets pretend
the cell that contains "SUM(daily_Totals!F6)" is B1,I want it to look at A1
to compare the values for the up/down arrows. Am I as clear as mud! :)

"MWH" wrote in message
[...]

"MWH" wrote in message
Hi Norman

[...]

Norman Jones

Hi MWH,

Lets pretend the cell that contains "SUM(daily_Totals!F6)" is B1,I want it
to look at A1 to compare the values for the up/down arrows

With the value =SUM(daily_Totals!F6) in B1, to display an arrow in C1 which
represents the comparison of the A1 and B1 values, in C1 enter the formula

=IF(A1=A2,"",IF(A2A1, "p","q")

Format relevant column C cells with the Windings3 font (to show an up or
down arrow); Apply conditional formatting to the relevant column c cells to
color down arrows green and up arrows red.

Now, given your explanation, I would be quie happy with this answer ... were
it not that this was my exact response four posts ago!

I fear that I am missing something!

---
Regards,
Norman

"MWH" wrote in message
[...]

"MWH" wrote in message
Hi Norman

[...]

Kassie

Hi Norman

MWH wants to dsiplay the arrow in the same cell as the result, hence the
question about concatenation. This would mean that his values are turned
into text of course. Using the ampersand "&" you can concatenate the two
results of the two formulae. the question is whether you still want to be
able to do calculations on this cell afterwards.

"MWH" wrote in message
If cell A2 A1 I would like to show an up arrow next to the value, and
visa versa...

--
Mark W. Hanford

Norman Jones

Hi Kassie,

MWH wants to dsiplay the arrow in the same cell as the result

Thank you for this clarification

In fact Mark made this clear in subsequent post in a separate thread (see
the "Thanks" thread.

In the other thread, mark said:

I don't want to use a separate cell for the arrow, as I'll
have many columns of data over a long period of time.

I therefore suggested that Mark consider changing the sheet logic to
transpose rows and columns.

---
Regards,
Norman