Brad Hubeny

Default Averaging different numbers of cells

Hi all,
I have a column of numerical data in which there are randomly spaced text
boxes (ie different spacing between text entries). I am looking for a way to
average cells between the text boxes. I can do this individually by
selecting cell ranges, however I am interested to know if anyone has a way to
do this automatically (or at least more quickly!). Any thoughts would be
appreciated!
Thanks,
Brad Hubeny
Brad Hubeny

Thank you Bob. Perhaps I should have been more clear, though.

I am looking to compute multiple averages of data that are spaced between
the text cells. For example, if I have 25 text cells randomly spaced in the
column, I am looking to compute the average of each of the 26 separated
numeric ranges. I know how to use the average function to do this for each
individual chunk, but would like to learn how to have excel recognize the
text cells and average the numbers between them.

Thanks again!
Brad Hubeny

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=AVERAGE(A1:M1)

average ignores the text cells

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Brad Hubeny" <Brad wrote in message
Hi all,
I have a column of numerical data in which there are randomly spaced text
boxes (ie different spacing between text entries). I am looking for a way

average cells between the text boxes. I can do this individually by
selecting cell ranges, however I am interested to know if anyone has a way

do this automatically (or at least more quickly!). Any thoughts would be
appreciated!
Thanks,
Brad Hubeny

Bob Phillips

I still think my previous answer applies :-)

For example, consider this data
A1:1
A2:2
A3:3
A4:abc
A5:5

=AVERAGE(A1:A5) gives 2.75, not 2.2

--

HTH

RP

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=AVERAGE(A1:M1)

average ignores the text cells

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Brad Hubeny" <Brad wrote in message
Hi all,
I have a column of numerical data in which there are randomly spaced

text
boxes (ie different spacing between text entries). I am looking for a

way
average cells between the text boxes. I can do this individually by
selecting cell ranges, however I am interested to know if anyone has a

way
do this automatically (or at least more quickly!). Any thoughts would

be
appreciated!
Thanks,
Brad Hubeny

Brad Hubeny

Oh boy! I am not doing a good job explaining myself tonight! Let me try
with using a data example as you did:

A1:1
A2:2
A3:3
A4:abc
A5:6
A6:7
A7:8
A9:9
A10:cde
A11:12
A12:13

In this case, I would like to have excel produce three averages, ie:
2, 7.5, 12.5

Thanks for your patience, Bob. I look forward to your (or anyone else's)
insight on this.

Cheers,
Brad Hubeny