ccyarm

Default value of indirect cell

When I type a reference in a cell, i would like to change the value of
that referenced cell.
Ex: I type "d4" in cell "n5". I would like then to enter "1" in d4.
Is it possible without using vb code?
Thanks,

--
ccyarm
ccyarm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24715

MrShorty

Depends on details that you haven't given. An example that would do
what you ask would be to have the formula in D4 =IF($N$5="d4",1,0).
This formula could be copied and adapted to any number of cells. I'm
not certain exactly how, but the conditional could be adapted to make
it easier to copy it around (using some combination of ROW and COLUMN
functions or other manner).
This method may not be adequate for everything you could possible want
to use it for. For example, d4 will only hold the value 1 as long as
n5="d4". Once you change the value in n5, d4 will revert to 0 (or
whatever you decide is a more appropriate value_if_false argument).
More details about what you want the spreadsheet to do would help
develop a more appropriate approach if this one isn't good enough.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181