Junior Member

Default Need Help With A Find Formula

Hope this is the right forum :)

I have a spreadsheet with a long list of names that I have to go through and pick the employees that are mine. What I'm trying to do is simplify this by creating a find formula(or multiple) that will automatically populate the column where I indicate they are mine.

An example. I have Column A that is where I put my name to indicate the employee belongs to me. I need to populate this with toy4x4 if they are my employee.

Column B contains the employee first and last names and there is no rhyme or reason to the format of their name in this column.

I can do a =find("Smith",b1) and it returns a 7 which is the starting point in the string for that last name.

Problem is I have 17 employees. So I need to find "Smith", "Jones", "Brown", "White", etc

I have to do this monthly and in about 15 spreasheets so I'm looking for an easy cut and paste method.

Thanks in advance!!
Junior Member

Ok, this works to start off:

=IF(FIND("Smith",B1),"Mine","Not Mine")

Problem is when Smith is not in the name I get #VALUE instead of "Not Mine".

Then how to do nester ORs for Smith, Jones, etc.

Cause this doesn't work:

=IF(OR(FIND("Smith",B1),FIND("Jones",B1)),"Mine"," Not Mine")

I just get #VALUE
JMB

try changing the order and testing for an error. I threw in the Proper
function to make sure the case is the same, otherwise I believe you will get
an error.

=IF(AND(ISERROR(FIND("Smith",PROPER(B1))),ISERROR( FIND("Jones",PROPER(B1)))),"Not Mine","Mine")

--
toy4x4

Domenic

Try...

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(FIND({"Smith","Jones"},B1))),"Mine ","Not Mine")

OR

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(FIND(A1:A2,B1))),"Mine","Not Mine")

OR

=IF(B1<"",IF(OR(ISNUMBER(FIND(A1:A2,B1))),"Mine", "Not Mine"),"")

....where A1:A2 contains your list of names. The last two formulas need
to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER. Also, the
last formula contains an additional IF statement to return a blank when
B1 is empty.

Hope this helps!