Danny

Default I need information from a cell intesected by a column and row.

I need a formula that will read information from two cells of a sheet then
find the information in a cloumn and row of a table and gather the
information from a cell intesected by the column and row.
Ron Coderre

Let's see if I understand what your asking for.

A1 has some value
B1 has another value

You want to find the value of A1 in the left column of the the table and and
the value of B1 in the top row of the table.
Once found, you want to find the intersection of the row of the left column
matched value and the column of the top row matched value.

If that's correct, try this (assuming your table is contained in C1:G10

=INDEX(C1:G10,MATCH(A1,C1:C10,0),MATCH(B1,C1:G1,0) )

The INDEX function returns the value of the cell at the intersection of a
certain row and column of a range.
So if the A1 value is 3 rows down and the B1 value is 2 colums across, then
the INDEX function will look in the range C1:G10 and find the value of the
cell that is in the 3rd row and 2nd column.

Does that help?

Ron

Danny

I am not sure if I can make this work. Let me try to give you the whole
story. I work at a Hydro Electric plant. Our dam has boards on top that pop
of during high water. We have to account for the water that goes over the
boards and through the space of the missing boards.
We have a table that list the amount of water that goes through the boards.
The table has the elevations in the left column and the boards missing in the
top row.
We have log sheet that we put all this information on. We would like to put
the lake elevation in a cell on the log sheet and the number of boards in
another cell of the log sheet and have a formula that will go to the table
and find the intersecting cell and put the information in another cell on the
log sheet.
Is this possible?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

[...]

Ron Coderre

Actually, that was the kind of structure I guessed you might need.

In your table of data, the lake elevation runs down the left side, the
number of boards across the top.

Using my example, A1 would contain the lake elevation and B1 would contain
the number of boards.

If you adjust the formula so that it refers to your actual data table, it
will return the flow of water from the table.

Does that help?

Ron