Rick

Default Autoexec Macro

How can I make a procedure (or macro) run every time a workbook is opened?

I've tried naming it
Private Sub Autoexec()
and
Private Sub Startup()

But neither work. I'm sure I've done this before but I just can't remember
how.
I looked for startup options (like in Access) but I can't find where to name
a startup macro.

I don't want to use a switch on the startup line.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rick

Peo Sjoblom

2 ways, either put the macro in ThisWorkbook like

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

'your code here

End Sub

or name i Auto_Open

Sub auto_open()'your code here
End Sub

I personally use the former, to get there right click the excel icon next to
File menu and select view code
or press alt + F11 and double click ThisWorkbook in the project pane to the
left, then close with
alt + Q

-
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Rick" wrote in message
How can I make a procedure (or macro) run every time a workbook is opened?

I've tried naming it
Private Sub Autoexec()
and
Private Sub Startup()

But neither work. I'm sure I've done this before but I just can't
remember
how.
I looked for startup options (like in Access) but I can't find where to
name
a startup macro.

I don't want to use a switch on the startup line.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rick

Noe

I am trying to "call" Excel from the DOS Command line (I do this in Word and
it works fine):

call "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\excel.exe"
/mPERSONAL.XLS!SusCancel 20050810.xls

I have saved the Macro into the "personal.xls" workbook.

It ain't getting control (it ain't workin').

Advice...

"Rick" wrote:

How can I make a procedure (or macro) run every time a workbook is opened?

I've tried naming it
Private Sub Autoexec()
and
Private Sub Startup()

But neither work. I'm sure I've done this before but I just can't remember
how.
I looked for startup options (like in Access) but I can't find where to name
a startup macro.

I don't want to use a switch on the startup line.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rick

Dave Peterson

Yes. Excel and Word are two different programs.

If you want your macro to always run when you open that file, you can name it
auto_open (in a general module).

--

Dave Peterson
Noe

Thanks to all (or one or two of you), after you read this I need help on
making sure this application (Excel) performs all functions with a return
code = 0, I saw soemthing on this but what I am really looking for is a way
to insure that the VBS script did everything = OK, no failures along the
way...Thanks in advance...

Here is what I am using now:

a batfile that calls the vbs file

batfile:
======

REM CANCEL file processing

rem files ready
if not exist CAN-*.xls exit /b 9

rem prep
if exist cancel.xls del cancel.xls

rem set variables
set file=CAN-*.xls
set dir=toclient\
set backup=bkup\

for %%i in ( %dir%%file% ) do (
copy /b %dir%%%~nxi %backup%%%~nxi ) && (
call backup.bat %backup%,%%~nxi ) && (
cancel.vbs "%dir%%%~nxi")

vbs file:
======

Dim macro
Dim filename
Dim XLApp
Dim XLWkb

Set XLApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

xlapp.visible = true
xlapp.Workbooks.Open
"C:\DOCUME~1\xxx\APPLIC~1\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\ PERSONAL.XLS"

filename = WScript.Arguments.item(0)
xlapp.Workbooks.Open filename

macro = "Personal.xls!Cancel"
xlapp.run macro