Julia

Default Sharing a workbook

I have a large workbook with about 20 tabs, and there is one person assigned
to update each tab. How does sharing work so that I do not have to
consolidate 20 spreadsheets into a master. I need step by step instructions.
Anne Troy

Julia: This depends a great deal on how much restriction you want on the
worksheets, and what version you're running. In general, however, sharing
the workbook has nothing to do with whether you can summarize on a master
sheet.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Julia" wrote in message
I have a large workbook with about 20 tabs, and there is one person

assigned
to update each tab. How does sharing work so that I do not have to
consolidate 20 spreadsheets into a master. I need step by step

instructions.

Julia

I want each person to be able to update only their portion. How do I do this?
I asume it has to be on a shared drive, but then what? How do I enable each
individual user to be able to edit? What are the steps?

"Julia" wrote in message
I have a large workbook with about 20 tabs, and there is one person

assigned
to update each tab. How does sharing work so that I do not have to
consolidate 20 spreadsheets into a master. I need step by step

instructions.

Kestrel1492

You could seperate the tabs into individual Workbooks. Each person
updates their own workbook, while you keep a master workbook.

In the master, have tabs corresponding to each "subordinate" workbook.
populate the cells in each tab with linking formulas calling the
information in from the respective subordinates.

To be honest, I really don't know much behind the process, rather, I
inherited a file with it already set up.
It had the following basic formula in each cell: Change the
CAPITALIZED text to match your setup

='\\NETWORKID\DRIVENAME\DIRECTORY\[SUBFILENAME.XLS]SUBTABNAME'!a1

Hopefully, if you do it this way, you won't have to Share any of the
files. Sharing is a pain :)

Sorry I can't give you more,

Kestrel

--
Kestrel1492

Kestrel1492's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24849
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=381037

Marius

1. Create 20 spreadsheet files instead of 20 tabs in 1 file.
2. Open all 20 files and create a Master file.
3. Create a formula in the Master file by typing "=" then click on the cell
inside one of the 20 files you want and Enter. This will automaticaly create
the Link to that file.
4. Once you have done all the formulas and linking you can close all 20 files.

Whenever you open the Master file, a dialog will appear that asks whether to
Update the Links to the other files. You do not need to open all 20 files
again.