Ann

Default Can specific cells on a worksheet be hidden & password protected?

I have created a password protected worksheet. Now I'm trying to hide
information on the worksheet and protect those cells so that they can only be
viewed and edited by entering a password for those fields.

haleswd

I need help with this question also. Can someone with some knowledge
please post the answer to this question?

Thanks

--
haleswd
haleswd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24787

dominicb

Good evening halswd / Ann

Yes, it can be done. When you select Tools Protect Protect Sheet,
Excel only protects cells that are locked. When you open a new
workbook ALL cells are locked by default, so yo need to unlock the
cells you don't want protecting. Highlight all the cells that want to
be unprotected (using ctrl to select multiple ranges) and press ctrl +
1. Go to Protection, uncheck the locked box and click OK.

Now go to Tools Protect Protect Sheet. Once protection is invoked,
only the cells that are locked will have the protection set against
them.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932

haleswd

Thanks dominicb, but that only answers half of the question. I know
those cells could be protected, but how would a person hide them, and
have them only be able to view the data with a password.

I tried Tools Protection Allow Users to Edit Ranges...

This would work, if I was able to hide them, but I can't figure out
how. Any Idea on how to go about doing this?

Thanks for any help that you will be able to give me.

--
haleswd
haleswd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24787
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=380080

swatsp0p

haleswd:

Individual cells cannot be hidden; only rows, columns, sheets are
'hide-able'. You could change the font color to 'hide' the text (e.g.
white font on white fill color) then Lock those cells and uncheck
"Select Locked Cells" when you Protect the sheet to prevent users from
being able to navigate into those cells.

HTH

Possibly, putting the data you want hidden on another sheet and hiding
that sheet may be a better option, depending on your specific
situation. What is in the cells to hide? How many are there? etc.
are question to answer to determine the best course of action.

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=380080

dominicb

Hello all

The other way to disguise information in cells is to set the number
format to ;;; (using ctrl + 1, Number, Custom format). This basically
makes the cell contents invisible.

Also remember that any protection using the methods we've suggested is
not at all difficult to bypass. It will keep out casual users but if
someone really wants to see the information a sheet can be unprotected
in seconds.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=380080

Gord Dibben

When in the protection tab under FormatCells checkmark the "Hidden" option so
they don't show up in the formula bar.

Then set the font to white and protect the sheet with a password.

The user enters the password and unprotects the sheet and formats the font
color to something readable.

This could all be done with a macro if desired.

NOTE: password protection on worksheets/workbooks is very easily broken.

Do not rely on this to prevent users from getting at sensitive data.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP