Bryan

Default IF Statement Problem

Using Excel 2000. I use a lot of IF statements in a machinery database for
desiganating options. Most of the time IF statements I create work
correctly, but occassionally I have the problem where the statement works
correctly and displays the correct information using the wizard, but the cell
itself displays only the formula, as if an ' was in front of the equation. I
have tried checking the cell formats (in this case I'm formatting the cell as
text), but I can't pin down why it works correctly 99.9% of the time, and
other times it doesn't. Any ideas would be helpful.... Thanks, BL
RagDyer

If the cell was formatted as Text when the formula was entered, simply
changing the format to "General" or "Number" is *not* good enough.
You must re-enter (register) the formula *after* the format revision.
Just clicking in the formula bar, and then hitting <Enter will do.

Since you say that this problem is not too prevelant in your WS, you could
click in a "bad" formula cell, and try this keyboard shortcut to change the
format and register the formula:
<Ctrl <Shift <~
Then
<F2
then
<Enter
--
HTH,

RD

"Bryan" wrote in message
Using Excel 2000. I use a lot of IF statements in a machinery database

for
desiganating options. Most of the time IF statements I create work
correctly, but occassionally I have the problem where the statement works
correctly and displays the correct information using the wizard, but the

cell
itself displays only the formula, as if an ' was in front of the equation.

have tried checking the cell formats (in this case I'm formatting the cell

as
text), but I can't pin down why it works correctly 99.9% of the time, and
other times it doesn't. Any ideas would be helpful.... Thanks, BL

Kevin M

Hi Bryan, every once in a while i get that as well, unfortunately i have no
work around other than to delete the cell and try again. I train Excel in my
company and one of my training sheets has a similar problem, if i move it
away to another cell it'll start working again. Not too much help sorry :)

HTH,

Kevin M

"Bryan" wrote:

Using Excel 2000. I use a lot of IF statements in a machinery database for
desiganating options. Most of the time IF statements I create work
correctly, but occassionally I have the problem where the statement works
correctly and displays the correct information using the wizard, but the cell
itself displays only the formula, as if an ' was in front of the equation. I
have tried checking the cell formats (in this case I'm formatting the cell as
text), but I can't pin down why it works correctly 99.9% of the time, and
other times it doesn't. Any ideas would be helpful.... Thanks, BL

Gary's Student

If a cell displays the formula instead of the results of the formula, the
trouble is usually that the cell containing the formula is formatted as text.
This is the same as putting a single quote in front of it. (as you pointed
out). Try changing the format of the cell containing the formula to general.
--
Gary's Student

"Bryan" wrote:

Using Excel 2000. I use a lot of IF statements in a machinery database for
desiganating options. Most of the time IF statements I create work
correctly, but occassionally I have the problem where the statement works
correctly and displays the correct information using the wizard, but the cell
itself displays only the formula, as if an ' was in front of the equation. I
have tried checking the cell formats (in this case I'm formatting the cell as
text), but I can't pin down why it works correctly 99.9% of the time, and
other times it doesn't. Any ideas would be helpful.... Thanks, BL

Bryan

RD,
Sorry for the late reply, but I just got back in the office to face this
problem again, and your keyboard register worked!!! Can't tell you how much
I appreciate your answer, and how many hours you have saved me!! Thanks, BL

"Bryan" wrote in message
Using Excel 2000. I use a lot of IF statements in a machinery database

for
desiganating options. Most of the time IF statements I create work
correctly, but occassionally I have the problem where the statement works
correctly and displays the correct information using the wizard, but the

cell
itself displays only the formula, as if an ' was in front of the equation.

have tried checking the cell formats (in this case I'm formatting the cell

as
text), but I can't pin down why it works correctly 99.9% of the time, and
other times it doesn't. Any ideas would be helpful.... Thanks, BL

RagDyeR

Thanks for the feed-back, no matter how belated.

RD