Junior Member

Default Lookup cell next to data

First of all let me thank everybody that posts here. I've found alot of very useful information, but now I have a fairly simple question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

I have a workbook for keeping track of hours worked on particular jobs. Here's what I'd like to do: Sheet 1 is basically job number, job name, description of the work, and hours. (Columns A, B, C, and D respectively).
Sheet 2 is a list of all of our jobs, Column A is job number, Column B is job name.

Column B of Sheet 1 is all drop down menus referencing my job list (Column B) in Sheet 2.
I want to be able to when I pick a name in Column B it automatically fills in the Job Number in Column A next to it.

Hopefully this makes sense. I feel like it should be a simple IF, THEN function but I can't get that to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi ,

put this formula in cell A2 of Sheet1
=INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,MATCH(B2,Sheet2!B:B,0))
and fill down

--
isabelle

Le 2012-01-09 16:49, abetancur a écrit :
[...]

Junior Member

Thank you very much Isabelle, that worked perfectly :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle View Post