Alex

Default using wildcards in vlookup

I need help with the a vlookup formula that needs to use wildcards.

Sheet 1 has the following columns:

MSO# ORDER
NQCT8 111
NQCT8 222
NQFH4 333
NQFJ6 444
NQXF0 555

Sheet 2 has the following columns:

TRKCASE ORDER
JVB65/NQXFO/Z1R09148 555
JVB65/NQCT8/Z1K05629 222
JVB65/NSTB4/Z1R09145
JVB65/NTDZ9/84EX00053
JVB65/NTZS1/Z1K05424

I need a vlookup function in the ORDER column in Sheet 2 that will look to
see if the TRKCASE in the same line matches any of the MSO#'s in Sheet1 and
if so, enter the ORDER # from Sheet 1. What's confusing me is that the MSO#
from Sheet 1 will be inside TRKCASE. I've included what ORDER #'s should end
up in the ORDER column in Sheet 2.

I appreciate the help. Thank you!

Peo Sjoblom

if it is always the middle part NQetc then you could use

=VLOOKUP(MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,5),Sheet2!$A$2:$B$100,2,0)

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

N Harkawat

Name a range "mso" for the range in sheet 1 for the mso # say from A1:a1000

then on sheet 2 cell B1 enter this formula and copy it down
=INDEX(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$1000,MATCH(1,COUNTIF(A1,"*"& mso&"*"),0))
array entered (ctrl+shift+enter)

where B1:b1000 on sheet 1 are the order
and your trkcase is on sheet2 from A1 downwards

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

olasa

This is one option
=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(TRUE;ISNUMBER(FIND($D$3:$D$7;A3) );0));"";INDEX($E$3:$E$7;MATCH(TRUE;ISNUMBER(FIND( $D$3:$D$7;A3));0)))

Hope it helped
Ola Sandström

See encl zip-file:
http://www.excelforum.com/attachment...tid=3495&stc=1