Ali

Default How can I add values to a closed excel file?

Hi, if someone can please tell me how I can add values to closed excel file
from an open excel file. What needs to be done here.

Thanks.
Peo Sjoblom

You can't

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Ali" wrote:

Hi, if someone can please tell me how I can add values to closed excel file
from an open excel file. What needs to be done here.

Thanks.

Andy Wiggins

You can!

... and here's how:

http://www.bygsoftware.com/Excel/SQL..._using_sql.htm

Using an UPDATE query in SQL.REQUEST to change values in closed workbooks.
How to COUNT data in an Excel table and in an MsAccess database using
SQL.REQUEST.

--
Andy Wiggins FCCA
www.BygSoftware.com

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
You can't

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Ali" wrote:

Hi, if someone can please tell me how I can add values to closed excel

file
from an open excel file. What needs to be done here.

Thanks.

Andy Wiggins

It uses the Sql UPDATE functionality, therefore it updates cells. If you
want to add a new value to the current value in a cell then you would need
to obtain the current value, add the new value and then update the target
cell(s).

--
Andy Wiggins FCCA
www.BygSoftware.com
Excel, Access and VBA Consultancy
-

"George Nicholson" wrote in message
Andy:

Out of curiousity, do those allow you to actually "add values" like the OP
asked, or just change/update existing values?

--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"Ali" wrote:

Hi, if someone can please tell me how I can add values to closed

excel
file
from an open excel file. What needs to be done here.

Thanks.

Peo Sjoblom

It's not built in though, as far as I know you need to install it and also if
you have excel 2003 you need to find the 2002 version since it does not come
with Office/Excel 2003 so given that, for the next version of office it will
probably not work unless they include a new add-in

Regards

Peo Sjoblom

"Ali" wrote:

Hi, if someone can please tell me how I can add values to closed excel

file
from an open excel file. What needs to be done here.

Thanks.

Andy Wiggins

As the OP asked, "What needs to be done here", and that's the question I
answered. (I'm starting to sound like a pedant)

As to the XLODBC add-in ...

http://www.bygsoftware.com/Excel/sqlrequest.html

Q: I can't find the XLODBC add-in. I'm using Excel 2002
A: This add-in is no longer included with Microsoft Excel. You can get it
from Microsoft by following this link -
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/xlodbc.aspx

Q: I can't find the XLODBC add-in. I'm using Excel 2003. I've tried the
above link but that says it can't find Excel 2002 or Excel XP.
A: This is where Uncle Bill isn't being too helpful :-( But, here is a way
to get to those files:
Open the xlodbc.exe using, say, Winzip.
Copy the files to a convenient location.
From within Excel, browse to the add-in file and load it as normal.

--

"Ali" wrote:

Hi, if someone can please tell me how I can add values to closed

excel
file
from an open excel file. What needs to be done here.

Thanks.

Andy Wiggins

You can't use SQL.REQUEST to achieve this because it's a function.

Here is a way using SQL code:
It demonstrates two methods for inserting records into a CLOSED Excel
workbook.

For this demonstration I have used, as the target workbook,
SqlRequest_COUNT.xls
http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/...uest_COUNT.zip
This workbook contains a range called LocalTable. It is two (2) coumns wide.

Copy the code, below, into a VBA module.

The SQL code in Method 1 INSERTS a single record into the table.

The SQL code in Method 2 INSERTS multiple rows from a table in the source
workbook.
The source table, called MyTable, must also be two columns wide.

You may have to adjust the paths in the connection string depending on where
you save the source workbook.

This works for hundreds of records.

'' Code begins here - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Option Explicit

Sub InsertValuesIntoClosedExcelWorkbook()
Dim lStr_Conn As String
Dim lStr_Sql As String

lStr_Conn = ""
lStr_Conn = lStr_Conn & "ODBC;DSN=Excel Files;"
lStr_Conn = lStr_Conn & "DBQ=C:\Demo\SqlRequest_COUNT.xls;"
lStr_Conn = lStr_Conn & "DefaultDir=C:\Demo;"
lStr_Conn = lStr_Conn & "DriverId=790;"
lStr_Conn = lStr_Conn & "MaxBufferSize=2048;"
lStr_Conn = lStr_Conn & "PageTimeout=5;"

'' Method 1
'' lStr_Sql = ""
'' lStr_Sql = lStr_Sql & " INSERT INTO LocalTable"
'' lStr_Sql = lStr_Sql & " VALUES (555,5)"

'' Method 2
lStr_Sql = ""
lStr_Sql = lStr_Sql & " INSERT INTO LocalTable"
lStr_Sql = lStr_Sql & " SELECT *"
lStr_Sql = lStr_Sql & " FROM `" & ThisWorkbook.FullName & "`.MyTable"

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=lStr_Conn,
Destination:=Range("A1"))
.CommandText = lStr_Sql
.Name = "Query from Excel Files"
.FieldNames = True
.RowNumbers = False
.FillAdjacentFormulas = False
.PreserveFormatting = True
.RefreshOnFileOpen = False
.BackgroundQuery = True
.RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
.SavePassword = False
.SaveData = True
.AdjustColumnWidth = True
.RefreshPeriod = 0
.PreserveColumnInfo = True
.Refresh
End With

End Sub

'' Code ends here - - - - - - - - - - - - - -