Jim333

Default Why do we start the formula with + or -

Hi everybody,

I have noticed that some people start the formula with + or - after
equal sign e.g. =+if(...

My question is: what is the main purpose of doing that I need a
detaild answer with some examples if available.

Thank you,,

--
Jim333
Jim333's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5186

Jim May

I think it is strictly a "carry-over" from individuals "Lotus-Days".
Excel didn't embrace the feature/requirement.
HTH

"Jim333" wrote in
message ...

Hi everybody,

I have noticed that some people start the formula with + or - after
equal sign e.g. =+if(...

My question is: what is the main purpose of doing that I need a
detaild answer with some examples if available.

Thank you,,

--
Jim333
Jim333's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376504

JMB

hope i'm not raining on someones homework. it is a carryover from lotus 123.
if you enter +sum(A1:A5), excel automatically throws in the = sign, but
leaves the + sign.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

WE don't. Only 123 users do it. Happy homework

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Jim333" wrote in
message ...

Hi everybody,

I have noticed that some people start the formula with + or - after
equal sign e.g. =+if(...

My question is: what is the main purpose of doing that I need a
detaild answer with some examples if available.

Thank you,,

--
Jim333
Jim333's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376504

Dave Peterson

When we switched from Lotus 123 to Excel, there were a lot of 123 users who
couldn't break that habit.

(I find it irritating, too <vbg.)

Another one that lots of lotus users did (ok a few, ok just one!) was:

=sum(a1+b1)
or even worse:
=+sum(a1+b1)

Jim333 wrote:

Hi everybody,

I have noticed that some people start the formula with + or - after
equal sign e.g. =+if(...

My question is: what is the main purpose of doing that I need a
detaild answer with some examples if available.

Thank you,,

--
Jim333
Jim333's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5186