fresh

Default using a slave worksheet

OK, so i have a long list of contacts with numerous columns containing
all sorts of corresponding data. What i'm looking to do is create a
sub-list(s) of specific contractors based on this master list that will
contain far fewer columns and only a select group of these contacts.
The master list is constantly be adding to and changed and i dont want
to have to manually change the smaller list(s) each time new
information is added. How can i create a worksheet that will
auto-update to include any changed information as well as full rows
being added or deleted?

any suggestions would be great, thanks :)

--
fresh
fresh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23943

spog00

May be possible using vlookups or a variation on that theme.
Is your sub-list made up using specified criteria. Such as all
contractors called John

Post an example.

Alastair

--
spog00
spog00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20197

fresh

I'm thinking the sublist will be pulled by using a dummy column with say
an 'x' in the row of a contact i want from the master list.

A B C D E <-- MASTER LIST
x John ... 6 ...
Bill ... 10 ...
x Joe . 3 ...
x John .. 2 ....

A B <-- IDEAL SLAVE LIST
John 6
joe 3
John 2

Tihs isn't difficult to accomplish using an IF statement, but it runs
into problems if i insert a new contact between Joe and John say that I
also want to stay current on the sublist. I find i have to re-fill each
column with the approriate formula (not much effort but takes a bit of
time and the need for me to remember to do it :|)

I'm trying to avoid having to update multiple locations everytime
something changes. Can i have this ALL KNOWING master and somehow have
worksheets that will change dynamically with any changes made to it?

thanks for your response!

--
fresh
fresh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23943
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375740

Ron Coderre

Here's a thought . . . .Use a Pivot Table

You could put a Pivot Table on a new sheet.

Set the source to be the main list, but include a few hundred extra
rows.

For the ROWS: Only select the fields you need (In my experiment, I
selected LastName, FirstName, Company, and Phone)
Note: Double-click on each ROW Field and set Subtotals to NONE

For the Data: I selected the Flag field (my column with the X's) and
let it default to Count of Flag

For the PAGE: I used the same Flag field.

Click [Finish]

Then Click the PAGE dropdown list and select X

The resulting Pivot Table should only show the flagged items.

Then you can refresh the Pivot Table whenever you need to and the
latest flagged items will be listed.

Does that work for you?

Ron

--