JohnnyJomp

Default Sorting a sheet

Hello:
I have a problem in sorting a sheet. I choose column A to sort in ascending
order, which is does... with 1 problem. Excel usually sorts by the first
digit; these spreadsheets are sorting numerically. 333 is being placed before
330A, and 333 is being placed before 1234. and no, it is not a matter of
sorting from z-a or a-z.
How can I get the sort to like it normally does?
Thanks for any help...
John
Nick Hodge

Johnny

Excel sorts on the entire number/text, not just the first digit, so it is
sorting fine. the only way you can get it sorting by the first digit would
be to use a helper column, say SO.

In Z2 (Presumes row 1 is headers and that columnar has the data)

=LEFT(A2,1)

Now sort on the new column SO

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"JohnnyJomp" wrote in message
Hello:
I have a problem in sorting a sheet. I choose column A to sort in
ascending
order, which is does... with 1 problem. Excel usually sorts by the first
digit; these spreadsheets are sorting numerically. 333 is being placed
before
330A, and 333 is being placed before 1234. and no, it is not a matter of
sorting from z-a or a-z.
How can I get the sort to like it normally does?
Thanks for any help...
John

JohnnyJomp

Hi Nick...
By golly, you are right. I was sure that it normally sorted 1000 before 99
and 101A before 102. I am not sure I understand your workaround, but will
have a go at it.
Thanks
John