shaya

Default excel not linking

Whenever I open a second instance of excel I cannot link the two excel
workbooks.

It works fine if I click on new from within the first workbook, but if i
open a new workbook from the shortcut the two workbooks do not seem to be
connnected at all.

If i go to the window menu it also does not list both workbooks

Dave Peterson

If you want to try to eliminate opening that second instance:

Sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
shaya

Thanks for you reply but that does not solve the problem.
If I click on 'new' from within excel it opens a new workbook but does not
create a new button on the taskbar however under the windows menu you can
select either worksheet..
If i click an icon to open excel it opens a new button on the taskbar but
both workbooks do not appear in the 'window' menu. It is then not possible to
link the two workbooks.

"shaya" wrote:

Whenever I open a second instance of excel I cannot link the two excel
workbooks.

It works fine if I click on new from within the first workbook, but if i
open a new workbook from the shortcut the two workbooks do not seem to be
connnected at all.

If i go to the window menu it also does not list both workbooks

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

What version of excel are you using?

If you're using xl2k or higher, then
checking tools|options|view tab|windows in taskbar
should make it show up in the windows taskbar.

But you can override that (kind of) if you're using windows XP.

Rightclick on the windows taskbar and choose properties.
do you have "group similar taskbar buttons" checked

If yes, then when I had windows in taskbar checked, I would see a list of the
similar buttons when I clicked on a "grouped" icon on the taskbar.

---
Windows in taskbar was added in xl2k.