shaya

Thanks for you reply but that does not solve the problem.
If I click on 'new' from within excel it opens a new workbook but does not
create a new button on the taskbar however under the windows menu you can
select either worksheet..
If i click an icon to open excel it opens a new button on the taskbar but
both workbooks do not appear in the 'window' menu. It is then not possible to
link the two workbooks.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you want to try to eliminate opening that second instance:

Sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

shaya wrote:

I realise that but the problem I am having is that excel treats the two files
as two seperate instances.

"Kassie" wrote:

The whole idea of Windows is not to have to open multiple instances of a
program, but to open multiple files in one instance?

"shaya" wrote:

Whenever I open a second instance of excel I cannot link the two excel
workbooks.

It works fine if I click on new from within the first workbook, but if i
open a new workbook from the shortcut the two workbooks do not seem to be
connnected at all.

If i go to the window menu it also does not list both workbooks

--

Dave Peterson