Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ty Ty is offline

Default Removing 3-4 decimals

I need to remove 3 to 4 decimals in a cells in one column. I know it
has something to do with LEFT and something else. Here is the
example:

7.1.2.5 need to convert it to 7125

Thanks.....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the Substitute function.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA .

"Ty"
wrote in message
I need to remove 3 to 4 decimals in a cells in one column. I know it
has something to do with LEFT and something else. Here is the
example:

7.1.2.5 need to convert it to 7125
Thanks.....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you cut that column and paste to a new worksheet then run EditReplace on
it?

Then paste back into original spot.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 19:33:43 -0700 (PDT), Ty wrote:

I need to remove 3 to 4 decimals in a cells in one column. I know it
has something to do with LEFT and something else. Here is the
example:

7.1.2.5 need to convert it to 7125

Thanks.....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you cut that column and paste to a new
worksheet then run EditReplace on it?

Then paste back into original spot.

I'm curious... why copy it to another sheet, do the replace and then copy it
back instead of just doing the replace at the original location?

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just to make sure you do not inadvertantly replace any other decimal points in
other columns.

I do not trust Excel to operate on just the range I have selected when doing an
editreplace.

If that is the only column with DP then no problem with your suggestion.

Gord

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 01:43:51 -0400, "Rick Rothstein"
wrote:

Can you cut that column and paste to a new
worksheet then run EditReplace on it?

Then paste back into original spot.

I'm curious... why copy it to another sheet, do the replace and then copy it
back instead of just doing the replace at the original location?

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ty Ty is offline

wrote:
Can you cut that column and paste to a new
worksheet then run EditReplace on it?

Then paste back into original spot.

I'm curious... why copy it to another sheet, do the replace and then copy it
back instead of just doing the replace at the original location?

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)- Hide quoted text -

The SUBSTITUTE vs REPLACE? I used the SUBSTITUE in an additional
column on same sheet because I still need to see the other column.
Works great!

SUBSTITUTE(G265,".","")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

....because I still need to see the other column

You might have considered mentioning that in your original posting.

Rick