Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUMIF

A1, A2, A7 all contain DLX

What I want is for all DLX in A:A to SUM the 3rd columns over. So in this
example the SUM of C1,C2,C7.

I've been playing with SUMIF but you need to select the exact range if there
is a match.

TIA, Dennis
====================
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Apr 5, 6:52*pm, (Remove the XX's ) wrote:
A1, A2, A7 all contain DLX

What I want is for all DLX in A:A to SUM the 3rd columns over. So in this
example the SUM of C1,C2,C7.

I've been playing with SUMIF but you need to select the exact range if there
is a match.

TIA, Dennis
====================

I am not understanding. Perhaps a better explanation or
"If desired, send your file to dguillett1 @gmail.com I will only look
if:
4. You send before/after examples and expected results."
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A1, A2, A7 all contain DLX

What I want is for all DLX in A:A to SUM the 3rd columns
over. So in this example the SUM of C1,C2,C7.

I've been playing with SUMIF but you need to select the
exact range if there is a match.

Are you saying that this formula does not do what you want?

=SUMIF(A:A,"DLX",C:C)

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In article , "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
A1, A2, A7 all contain DLX

What I want is for all DLX in A:A to SUM the 3rd columns
over. So in this example the SUM of C1,C2,C7.

I've been playing with SUMIF but you need to select the
exact range if there is a match.

Are you saying that this formula does not do what you want?

=SUMIF(A:A,"DLX",C:C)

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Yes, exactly!! Thanx Rick!

Dennis
======================
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you saying that this formula does not do what you want?

=SUMIF(A:A,"DLX",C:C)

Yes, exactly!! Thanx Rick!

If that formula does not do what you want, then why are you thanking me
(with an exclamation mark)?

Tell us then, exactly what does the formula I posted do?

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps you have one or more spaces before or after the DLX in column
A. Try this variation:

=SUMIF(A:A,"*DLX*",C:C)

The asterisk is a wildcard character, meaning any character.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 11, 4:06*am, (Remove the XX's ) wrote:
In article , "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
A1, A2, A7 all contain DLX

What I want is for all DLX in A:A to SUM the 3rd columns
over. So in this example the SUM of C1,C2,C7.

I've been playing with SUMIF but you need to select the
exact range if there is a match.

Are you saying that this formula does not do what you want?

=SUMIF(A:A,"DLX",C:C)

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Yes, exactly!! Thanx Rick!

Dennis
======================

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In article , "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
Are you saying that this formula does not do what you want?

=SUMIF(A:A,"DLX",C:C)

Yes, exactly!! Thanx Rick!

If that formula does not do what you want, then why are you thanking me
(with an exclamation mark)?

Tell us then, exactly what does the formula I posted do?

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Rick, it DOES do exactly what I want. I am thanking you because I wasn't
getting it on my own and your explanation of the syntax got me on track.
So....thank you again....dennis
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rick, it DOES do exactly what I want. I am thanking you
because I wasn't getting it on my own and your explanation
of the syntax got me on track. So....thank you again.

Whoops! A little confusion over wording here. I had asked "Are you saying
that this formula does not do what you want?" and you answered "Yes,
exactly!!" which I took to mean "yes, it does not do what you want". I think
this is my fault because I asked my question in the negative which opened it
for how to properly answer it... sorry. Anyway, you are quite welcome... I'm
glad your problem has been resolved.

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have hit upon one of my pet peeves Rick.

Those unanswerable negative questions!!

Lawyer..........did you not commit the crime?

I personally would answer "yes" but how would that be interpreted by the jury?

Gord