Mark Brown

Default Vlookup reference a worksheet

I am attempting to use Vlookup to do a multiple lookup.

I have 7 different worksheets and would like the worksheet names to be one
variable and the worksheet to be a second variable, the vlookup formula is
below. $f$3 is a list of months. I would like to find a way to set the
'a26' to be a variable, so that I can look in different worksheets- depending
on what is input. Each worksheet is an individual person that I need to look
up data on.

=VLOOKUP($F$3,'a26'!$A$2:$J$3639,2,)
Mark Brown

Perfect. Thanks so much.

"Duke Carey" wrote:

This should do the trick - if you other workbooks are all open

=VLOOKUP($F$3,INDIRECT("'"&a26&"'!$A$2:$J$3639"),2 ,)

"Mark Brown" wrote:

I am attempting to use Vlookup to do a multiple lookup.

I have 7 different worksheets and would like the worksheet names to be one
variable and the worksheet to be a second variable, the vlookup formula is
below. $f$3 is a list of months. I would like to find a way to set the
'a26' to be a variable, so that I can look in different worksheets- depending
on what is input. Each worksheet is an individual person that I need to look
up data on.

=VLOOKUP($F$3,'a26'!$A$2:$J$3639,2,)

Jim Thomlinson

That formula is great and should work just fine. There is one thing to note
however. Vlookup is a relatively slow function to execute and indirect is a
volitile function (calculates every time a calculation runs). Using the two
together means that the vlookup must recalculate every time and if you create
a whole bunch of these your performance will be adversly effected. I am not
saying don't do it. Just be aware of the possible performance issues.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Mark Brown" wrote:

I am attempting to use Vlookup to do a multiple lookup.

I have 7 different worksheets and would like the worksheet names to be one
variable and the worksheet to be a second variable, the vlookup formula is
below. $f$3 is a list of months. I would like to find a way to set the
'a26' to be a variable, so that I can look in different worksheets- depending
on what is input. Each worksheet is an individual person that I need to look
up data on.

=VLOOKUP($F$3,'a26'!$A$2:$J$3639,2,)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jeff Lowenstein

What is the syntax of the path name?

For instance, what would be the syntax for the file Text.xls located on the
desktop of user jeff ( windows 2000 or xp system)?

What would be there besides:
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\JEFF\DESKTOP\[TEST.XLS]

"Mark Brown" wrote:

I am attempting to use Vlookup to do a multiple lookup.

I have 7 different worksheets and would like the worksheet names to be one
variable and the worksheet to be a second variable, the vlookup formula is
below. $f$3 is a list of months. I would like to find a way to set the
'a26' to be a variable, so that I can look in different worksheets- depending
on what is input. Each worksheet is an individual person that I need to look
up data on.

=VLOOKUP($F$3,'a26'!$A$2:$J$3639,2,)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Desktop\[Test.xls]

so you have the correct path but unless the Test workbook is open you cannot
use INDIRECT
Btw, if you open Test.xls, copy a cell and paste special as link into
another workbook, if you close Text you'll get the full path, also

=CELL(Filename",A1)

will return path plus sheet name

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon