BorisS

Default conditional text

I have two cells, one of which is always filled in first, and then another.
For the formatting (changing from no fill/blk text) I am using the obvious
conditional formula. However, when the first is filled, I'd like the second
to also pop text up that says "second line?". I've tried the following:
=not(isblank(cell previous))*"second line?"
and this gives me a value? error.

Is the use of the "trueness" of the first argument not possible to multiply,
like you can with numerical calculation? Do I have to go for the if
statement in this case, or is there some way of using this? The reason it's
important is because if I can use the above format, it allows for cleaner
cells when more than just this one condition is involved.

Thanks if you have some insight.
--
Boris
Biff

Hi!

It's not very clear what you want so here's my best guess:

=IF(A1<"","second line?")

=not(isblank(cell previous))*"second line?"

Is the use of the "trueness" of the first argument not possible to
multiply,
like you can with numerical calculation?

The problem is that you're trying to multiply different types of data. A
boolean * TEXT = #VALUE!

Maybe something like this:

=(A1<"")*(B1="second line?")

Biff

[...]