BorisS

Default conditional text

I have two cells, one of which is always filled in first, and then another.
For the formatting (changing from no fill/blk text) I am using the obvious
conditional formula. However, when the first is filled, I'd like the second
to also pop text up that says "second line?". I've tried the following:
=not(isblank(cell previous))*"second line?"
and this gives me a value? error.

Is the use of the "trueness" of the first argument not possible to multiply,
like you can with numerical calculation? Do I have to go for the if
statement in this case, or is there some way of using this? The reason it's
important is because if I can use the above format, it allows for cleaner
cells when more than just this one condition is involved.

Thanks if you have some insight.
--
Boris